Hair algae! Running out of ideas

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, but isn't treating with peroxide similar to chemi clean in the sense that... you're not targeting the source of the issue, you're just putting a bandaid on it?
Use peroxide to kill what's there, while also treating cause. Treating the water column will only get you so far..

See @brandon429 algae threads

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promise my entire response about peroxide being a bandaid or the complete fix here is detailed in the linked thread on page one. in no way were we missing the actual cause in that thread, and peroxide was a portion of the for-sure fix not the complete method. the critical action that will cure that tank of bryopsis, and this one of GHA, is clearly shown and predictions were made before it started.

the method shown in that thread is the only guaranteed known way to rid a tank of bryopsis or hair algae, all else is playing around. how people want to employ preventatives doesn't apply, now that we have a GHA problem in this thread. preventatives are only changed/assessed/amplified when a target is missing from a tank, not when its prominent. the reason we will continue to have bryopsis tanks forever is simply due to doing opposite of what we show to work.

:) sheck out that link

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my opinion there is a neat way to see bandaids vs true fixes

GFO and carbon dosers are bandaids for nonexport, usually full detritus storage in a dirty sandbed. or overloading/underexporting. I don't use carbon, don't need it...those that do are using a simple tool to attain an ends for their tank, and its an ongoing need. not a three month course then done, but permanent as long as conditions remain, talk about a crutch.

is using GFO or carbon dosing wrong? no, I don't care what a man or lady does under their reef tank cabinet I just want to see fish and coral. they could get off the stuff though if they'd bioload less, export more and store less waste that's for sure.

What if a person has invasive caulerpa, which when burned truly out of a tank it can never come back unless reimported? that's nutrient independence. so, things that burn plants are legit in many places too even as water-dosers with no tank cleaning in place.

regarding GHA, anything that restores a tank to the uninvaded condition is valid, and we get quite a sustain rate using the methods mentioned in that rasping thread. it is just an option among tools to use

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not apposed to peroxide, however there are several other "bandaids" that I wouldn't pursue unless I was at wits end, like chemi clean. The point being, theres a drastic difference in relying on these tactics so manage your system when necessary compared to good tank husbandry & preventing it when possible. I do respect stubborn nuisance issues like bryopsis for example, because even the best well kept systems can play host. But you shouldn't do water changes when you see algae... do your water changes to prevent it. Proactive vs reactive.

I refer to a bandaid as a non daily action to force change. This is not to say they don't have their uses, but should simply be a last resort. So, no carbon, gfo, etc are not bandaids if you implement them into your system to function 24/7 as key components. Sure, not everyone carbon doses, but it aids a system that everyone uses right? :p

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds reasonable take for sure. the crux of my linked thread was a metal tool though, not peroxide but the peroxide was critical to clean up the holdfasts which are the source of regrowth

doing what parrotfish do cures tanks for sure we w show this year as more get on board

I cant count the number of GHA invaded tanks we feature that had perfect params, before a brought-in hitchhiking invasion, that wouldn't subside even with more GFO or carbon, too many to count. its true that making good params -typically- works, but there is simply a better way of making algae go away 100% of the time. making the ideal params is done when a tank is in good standing, not invaded, then those changes can be truly evaluated. even variations of common GHA can live independently of water param nutrients when masses are left in the tank...they literally collect detritus in the strands and it breaks down there to self-feed. our technique of obliteration counters that self-feeding mode. all current forms of algae control tell us to leave the algae in the tank, self feeding, and attack the water and we think that works poorly and is the same actions tried in 1988 till now...I wish algae control would've done what computing did between then and now heh

the reason we use peroxide, or even liquid tech M on the actual target and not the water for GHA, is because after we've rasped the area free of it, the chem cheat fries the remaining bits and we get long term sustain of fix like that. GHA is on the spectrum of returning invaders/vectored permanently within substrates/frags etc and it helps to keep nutrients under control to prevent regrowths, but, when/if regrowth occurs the only guaranteed fix is the removal and burn.

we have the exact option to be algae free, and its simply amazing to me that even after 20 yrs of algae problems the masses 99% will simply repeat the prior methods and always keep us busy fixing tanks, forever. Purposeful farming of algae, even in the face of good tank params, will never stop and for that our peroxide threads are thankful :)

right now the OP is thinking "dang man, I just asked about a little algae"

we haven't seen pics and I already know the cause...leaving it in the tank is the cause. Making it all gone within 30 mins is the fix, and all the choice on how to prevent are reserved for when the invaded condition is fixed (pending)

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also find it very easy being the owner of a 12 pound reef tank fully running, to recommend that owners of large tanks spend hours force cleaning their own tanks to match the non algae status of mine :) I classify that vast work differential as big tanker problems lol
as a tradeoff to easy algae care I don't get to own any fish/no fun there

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 101 43.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 108 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.5%
Back