Hair algae

SlicVic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,
I have my second reef tank set up and it's been cycled since Thanksgiving. First I had the common brown algae and that disappeared . But now I have HAIR ALGAE everywhere! I pull it out but it's back the next day! I was told an urchin would eat it so I got one but he does NOT eat it. I tried turning the lights out but turned them back on cuz they were just drooped and hanging over .I didn't want them to die! Here is a picture. HELP ME!

20240117_163931.jpg 20240117_163927.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the nitrate and phosphate levels? You will need good test kits to track and control them. Control the feeding, feed often but not too much at once, left over food fuels algae. Blackouts do nothing if you don't address the root cause. Increase the number of snails, I see none on the glass. Also keep up the water changes, you should be doing weekly water changes and scrubbing the rocks with a toothbrush while changing water

I would suggest to replace that pump with a powerhead or wavemaker that can be pointed, and point it upwards at the water surface to agitate and help with gas exchange, lots of algae can deplete oxygen levels. Powerhead or wavemaker also puts out a wider stream of water, compared to the narrow jet stream provided by a pump.

A protein skimmer helps keep nitrate lower and helps oxygenate the water.

Your tank is still very new, it will go through algae cycles for the first 6-12 months, keep up with water changes, and control nitrate and phosphate, and your tank will get through it, Good luck

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much nutrient in the tank. Need nitrate and phosphate to come down. I haven't found much that eats it.

OP
OP
SlicVic

SlicVic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for all that information! I will keep at it! I have 3 snails, an urchin, and 5 hermits in there right now.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins eat it. You just need more of them. Get more urchins, keep up the manual removal and keep the glass super clean so that they cannot eat from it (looks like you do this).

I don't know how big that tank is, but I might have 4-6 urchins and 100 astreas/ceriths in there.

While keeping waste products like nitrate and phosphate down is a good idea, algae can grow with even a small trace, or even none. Algae can get nitrogen and phosphorous from things that you cannot measure. Don't be discouraged if you drop no3 and po4 and the algae does not miss a beat - normal.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While controlling nutrients is good advice, be sure not to bottom them out. When a tank that has a decent amount of phosphate (above, say, 0.1) gets stripped of all phosphate, it disrupts the ecosystem and can leave a niche where dinos can take over.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When algal blooms die or are eaten by zooplankton, the bacteria that decomposes this organic matter lowers oxygen levels
Yes, I understand that, but we're not talking about microalgae blooms, we're talking about hair algae...

OP
OP
SlicVic

SlicVic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I took everything out and scrubbed it and put it back in! I just couldn't stand looking at it! Now I hope it doesn't come back until I get some more urchins and snails!

iDanCo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Am having severe green hair algae issues. Can not get it to go away and have to manually remove large swathes of it by hand every few weeks. is there a chemical treatment to remove it?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Am having severe green hair algae issues. Can not get it to go away and have to manually remove large swathes of it by hand every few weeks. is there a chemical treatment to remove it?
Read this through. Think hard about doing it vs not doing it. I did it as a last resort. I cannot be held responsible for your system. I am glad I did it. Need a minimum of 21 days to see impact.

Thread 'Fluconazole dose and why so much?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fluconazole-dose-and-why-so-much.983825/

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back