Hair Algae

t.mehoves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to remove the hair algae in my GSP? I have tried blowing it out without success. I noticed it the other day when had a power failure for about an hour, it closed up showing it. It is now swaying in the current as shown in the picture. Not asking how to treat the whole tank for it, it's disappearing more now that UV is back on. Showed up during PraziPro dosing. Just asking how to remove it from GSP without ticking it off.

IMG_3715.jpg

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I put frags on the sandbed, the hermits and clean-up crew immediately take care of the algae. You can also try some 50/50 hydrogen peroxide and RODI for a few minutes. I try to agitate the frag a bit before the dip so that it closes up and gets less ticked off.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to remove the hair algae in my GSP? I have tried blowing it out without success. I noticed it the other day when had a power failure for about an hour, it closed up showing it. It is now swaying in the current as shown in the picture. Not asking how to treat the whole tank for it, it's disappearing more now that UV is back on. Showed up during PraziPro dosing. Just asking how to remove it from GSP without ticking it off.

IMG_3715.jpg
nutrient export & clean up crew is the best course

Careful with that GSP. It can take over a tank very fast. best to keep it off a centerpiece and put it on a smaller dedicated rock that you can move and trim if needed.

Unless of course you want a large carpet of GSP which can look really cool at times. They will over take anything except for hydnophora from what i've experienced.

OP
OP
t.mehoves

t.mehoves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nutrient export & clean up crew is the best course

Careful with that GSP. It can take over a tank very fast. best to keep it off a centerpiece and put it on a smaller dedicated rock that you can move and trim if needed.

Unless of course you want a large carpet of GSP which can look really cool at times. They will over take anything except for hydnophora from what i've experienced.
It's on a plug, was a tiny piece when purchased about a month ago, and has at least quadrupled in size. It's starting to overrun the plug as you can see, was waiting until I added some more rock that is currently brewing to make a decision. I have everything temporarily on a shelf rock while I wait and decide. I was thinking about buying a magnet frag holder and placing it on the back glass, kind of like that look. Also was thinking of cutting and making more at some point and use on places where rock meets sand (like grass). It is probably in my top 5 favorites but maybe I'm biased as I run a lawn/landscape company :cool:

My CUC doesn't consist of anything that wants to feed upon shelf rock other than the lawnmower blenny. Even then, it doesn't look like it goes anywhere near the GSP for whatever reason. The other fish swim around up there but never stop to graze, probably because all of them get full on nori.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's on a plug, was a tiny piece when purchased about a month ago, and has at least quadrupled in size. It's starting to overrun the plug as you can see, was waiting until I added some more rock that is currently brewing to make a decision. I have everything temporarily on a shelf rock while I wait and decide. I was thinking about buying a magnet frag holder and placing it on the back glass, kind of like that look. Also was thinking of cutting and making more at some point and use on places where rock meets sand (like grass). It is probably in my top 5 favorites but maybe I'm biased as I run a lawn/landscape company :cool:

My CUC doesn't consist of anything that wants to feed upon shelf rock other than the lawnmower blenny. Even then, it doesn't look like it goes anywhere near the GSP for whatever reason. The other fish swim around up there but never stop to graze, probably because all of them get full on nori.
sounds like your on top of it then.

when i had my 28 gl jbj tank i had a frag i placed on the back wall which took over the whole wall.

The motion was mesmerizing! i constantly had to trim it from the overflow and return nozzles and after a while i upgraded systems. i used a razor blade and fragged three big sheets for my LFS. beautiful polyps if you can keep it controlled.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with hydrogen peroxide. I do 2/1 tank water to 3% hydrogen peroxide. I let sit for 8 minutes and rinse of with tank water and place back in the tank. I recommend putting it on a rock island so it doesn’t spread to where you don’t want it. Bottom right.
AD3D686F-CE12-46E6-8CDF-59DE9DEFB2CE.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back