Aquachristik's Red Sea Reefer 170

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like many, my introduction to the aquarium hobby started with a freshwater tank. After many years of keeping freshwater tanks, I was finally convinced to try saltwater, thanks to the assistance of a friend with a fantastic reef tank.

In April 2020, I decided to get a Fluval 13.5 and built my first reef. I want to say it turned out pretty well for my first attempt.

PXL_20210313_011226518.jpg

It was run with a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue and grew certain corals really well. The Fluval was sold and in came the RedSea Reefer 170 from SaltwaterAquarium.com! This time around, I decided to start a build thread to get some input from the community, as this will be a larger endeavor than the Fluval.

Equipment List

Caribsea OceanDirect Oolite

Marco Rocks

Fritz Blue Salt, but switching to AquaForest Reef Salt

Hydros X4 and XP8

Dosing
Jebao WiFi 4 head Doser
Kalkwasser w/ Sodium Hydroxide
Ammonia
BRS Calcium
BRS Magnesium

Jebao DC Return Pump

BRS 200W Titanium Heater controlled by the Hydros
Opolar fan on display for cooling

Nicrew HyperReef 150 Light

2x AI Nero 3 Pumps

Reef Octopus Classic 110SSS Skimmer

IceCap Algae Scrubber

Advanced Acrylics ATO reservoir (4"x16"x16")

ClearView Classic Lid

BRS Mini Media Reactor with Carbon and GFO

Latest Pic:
PXL_20240225_001328951.jpg

Let me know if I left something out!

Also, give me a follow on Instagram if you can!

IG: Aquachristik

Last edited:

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
i have a 170 also. I went with the clear view lid and very happy with it. I agree on not using the Kessil for the refugium, I started with one of the 80s and ultimately scrapped the fuge and went with a Nyos 120 instead.

mine is setup as a mixed reef and I am using a tunze 6055 wjich has worked well for me. Good luck on your build. BTW the Fluval looks great.

OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
i have a 170 also. I went with the clear view lid and very happy with it. I agree on not using the Kessil for the refugium, I started with one of the 80s and ultimately scrapped the fuge and went with a Nyos 120 instead.

mine is setup as a mixed reef and I am using a tunze 6055 wjich has worked well for me. Good luck on your build. BTW the Fluval looks great.
Thanks!
Another thumbs up for the Clearview, awesome. I saw the lids from Kraken and got sticker shock.
I appreciate your testimonial on the A80, I'm getting mixed reviews from people.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
Another thumbs up for the Clearview, awesome. I saw the lids from Kraken and got sticker shock.
I appreciate your testimonial on the A80, I'm getting mixed reviews from people.
the 80s are for really small tanks. I tried one on a 10 gallon coral QT and to get PAR of 180 I had to move my corals to just under 1 inch from the surface of the water.

OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT'S HERE!

Really happy with the overall look and quality. Also really like that all 3 sides are wide open for viewing, even with the support beam in the way in front of it.

Tank had a good lean forward so have to shim it up a bit to get it perfectly level.

Plumbed almost entirely, but not happy with the size of the hose that came with the tank. The Sicce 3.5 pump could not fit the hose easily even on the smallest fitting. Has anyone enlarged the factory fitting for the return pump to fit a larger gauge hose?

I've also seen the gang valve replaced on these tanks. Any particular reason?

IMG_20210301_191014.jpg

IMG_20210301_191026.jpg

IMG_20210301_191036.jpg

OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my package from 3D Reefing today. Unfortunately only the light shade for the AI Prime 16HD was included, no diffuser. I hope 3D Reefing can fix that quickly.

For now the shade does a great job at limiting the light bleed from Prime.

Update: 3D Reefing is sending the diffuser sheet. Great response time and quick action.

PXL_20210302_201045664.jpg

PXL_20210302_201041943.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed the VCA Red Sea Reefer Ultimate Return Line Upgrade Kit (Dual Random Flow Generators). Didn't like the long length of the original kit so I removed 1 loc-line, hopefully it doesn't suck any air in with the reduced length.

Hopefully it works as well as it did in the Evo!

PXL_20210303_020550420.jpg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding, very clean. @PeterC99

Is that a Tunze chaeto reactor? How do you like it's performance?

What model Nyos skimmer are you running?

Is that container on the left the ATO reservoir?
NYOS 120 Protein Skimmer (compact design)

Love Tunze Micro Algae Reactor. Will never run an aquarium without one. Grew chaeto like crazy and brought down high PO4 & NO3 to almost zero.

ATO reservoir was Advanced Acrylic 4 X 16 X 16.

Full disclosure - did add 25W UV light and used Tunze MAR pump for both.

OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NYOS 120 Protein Skimmer (compact design)

Love Tunze Micro Algae Reactor. Will never run an aquarium without one. Grew chaeto like crazy and brought down high PO4 & NO3 to almost zero.

ATO reservoir was Advanced Acrylic 4 X 16 X 16.

Full disclosure - did add 25W UV light and used Tunze MAR pump for both.
Thanks for the info. Going to look into that reactor as an alternative to a traditional fuge.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Going to look into that reactor as an alternative to a traditional fuge.
Not a bad compromise. The Algae reactor sat where the RSR ATO would normally go. I found the RSR ATO too small and the 4 gallon Advanced Acrylic reservoir fit into the cabinet and usually lasted more than a week for top offs.

Was able to find Tunze MAR used for about $200. The only real issue is harvesting the algae - you have to tip the reactor towards you to access. Usually harvesting every 2 weeks.

Let me know if you do get it - there are some tips to optimize running it.

OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bad compromise. The Algae reactor sat where the RSR ATO would normally go. I found the RSR ATO too small and the 4 gallon Advanced Acrylic reservoir fit into the cabinet and usually lasted more than a week for top offs.

Was able to find Tunze MAR used for about $200. The only real issue is harvesting the algae - you have to tip the reactor towards you to access. Usually harvesting every 2 weeks.

Let me know if you do get it - there are some tips to optimize running it.
I really like that ATO reservoir, seems to fit like a glove. I've always thought that RSR reservoir was too small.

I will definitely let you know if I end up going with the Tunze Reactor. It might even fit inside the sump, right? Is that the MAR pump to the left of the skimmer?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that ATO reservoir, seems to fit like a glove. I've always thought that RSR reservoir was too small.

I will definitely let you know if I end up going with the Tunze Reactor. It might even fit inside the sump, right? Is that the MAR pump to the left of the skimmer?
Correct - Tunze MAR fit inside the sump (where RSR ATO fits - this way it doesn't sit in any water and is easy to keep clean) and that is the MAR pump to the left of the skimmer. Output from MAR goes into sump return chamber.

OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing done!

Upgraded to 1" red schedule 40 PVC from BRS (have a few 24" pieces left over if anyone needs them). Followed the thread on here about updating Red Sea plumbing from metric to standard. Used the metric adapters on all 3. Upgraded the return piping with a 1" spigot and black vinyl tubing to better fit the Sicce 3.5 pump. Replaced the diaphragm valve with a Spears gate valve.

Painted the bottom of the sump white and removed the factory ATO float valve assembly.

Next up is building a small cabinet on the sides to house controllers and electrical equipment.

PXL_20210313_232845257.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
  • Finally found some AI Nero 3's at regular price at AquaCave.com!
    • BRS got them back in stock. Ordered from them instead.
  • Also got a BRS mini media reactor and Sicce pump.
  • Ordered the Reef Octopus skimmer from MarineDepot.com, the last one!
  • Ordered the ATO reservoir from Advanced Acrylics. (4x16x16)
  • Got some AquaMesh (black) from BRS to divide the skimmer and chaeto chambers in the sump
  • Bought some BRS filter socks.
    • Still shocked someone hasn't 3D printed a sock holder that can house the standard 4" socks.
  • Ordered the ClearView Classic lid.
Need to get going on the scape! Should be starting the cycle next week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aquachristik

Aquachristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

BRS took one of the Nero 3's back, no questions asked. Kudos to them, great customer service. Hopefully I'll be getting a new one back soon.

SaltwaterAquarium.com said it was over the return period so I would have to take up the rattling Sicce Syncra 3.5 pump directly with them. It's taken quite a while for Sicce to get back to me on the issue. I've heard they have great customer service so I hope this is an anomaly. Hope it improves.

Recieved the ATO reservoir from Advanced Acrylics! Had to remove the foam on the right side of the cabinet in order to move the sump about 1/16" to let the reservoir fit. Thanks @PeterC99 for recommendation. I love it.

IMG_20210401_163122.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back