Hair algae.

Antny12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a concern when it’s near or growing between frags? Tried picking it off with a tooth pick/brush (without hitting polys) however having very little success. Any short term recommendations as I’m transferring some to someone else.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a concern when it’s near or growing between frags? Tried picking it off with a tooth pick/brush (without hitting polys) however having very little success. Any short term recommendations as I’m transferring some to someone else.
A snail or urchin worked well for me. You could try placing one there and see what happens. You could melt it with peroxide if you take whatever it’s on out and use that and scrub.

Melanie D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brushed mine off with a toothbrush and rinsed really good in clean tank water. I didn't have luck with short term treatment. I took lots of time cleaning off rocks and decreasing nutrients. I think overfeeding was my problem.

OP
OP
A

Antny12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably mine as well. I’m just selling a lot of my Zoas and don’t wanna anyone else getting a raw deal because there was some hair algae.. is it a concern enough to where you would try to dip them before I let them leave? It’s not all of them and the Zoas are fine.. I just wanna do what’s best

Melanie D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think dipping it will do anything for the hair algea. I haven't tried the peroxide method but I have heard it works on gha just not sure if it will bother the zoa's‍ wish I could be of more help.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 54 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 52 24.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back