Half Gallon water change everyday

navidreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to know what your takes are on doing a half gallon water change everyday just using a clean bottle on my 80 gallon system . Instead of doing a massive one . Does that work

Ravsta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half a gallon on an 80 gallon isn’t much at all. Also depends on the objective. Is it to replenish uptake of elements or remove nutrients or a mix of everything?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But it would add up to about 15 gallons a month . They always say 20% water changes ?

It wouldn't be quite that much, because you're also removing some of the the previous days' clean water additions. But in this case, it would be very close to a total of 15 gallons changed out.

Basically, you are correct - Frequent small water changes are nearly as effective as less frequent large ones. Also much smoother for livestock and less likely to cause abrupt changes in water chemistry. Also much easier to do for some people. I personally don't do any changes of more than 5 gallons in either of my 100 gallon systems, I just do more of them if needed.

RHF has discussed this in one of his articles.

Edit: Here's the calculation for your tank:

0.5 gallons/80 gallons = 0.00625 = 0.625% This is the percent of total water you're removing with each small water change.

1 - 0.00625 = 0.99375 = 99.375% This is the percentage of 'old' water you're removing with each small change.

1 - (0.99375)^30 = 0.172 = 17.2% This is how much old water you've removed after doing 30 daily half gallon water changes. This is only slightly less than you would guess based on 0.5 x 30 / 80 = 18.75%.

Also, the logical end result of doing smaller more frequent water changes is continuous water changes. This is a fairly popular thing, doable with the Neptune DOS and probably other systems as well.

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano and do daily changes but I also still do the larger one as it’s good for cleaning the sand.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back