Halide bulb color

  • Thread starter Thread starter pirate2876
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 23, 2014
Messages
1,314
Reaction score
862
Location
Escondido CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I am thinking of trying a 10k bulb to emphasize growth. I am just curious to to people opinion regarding 10k bulbs.

Currently I run 2x 250 DE Phoenix bulbs with 2 Blue+ T5's and a 36" actinic Truelumen LED strip. I was wondering if I would be adding a lot of PAR if I went to a 10k bulb. Growth is good, but I want to experiment with a different bulb this time around. I feel my tank is rather blue with all the supplementation I already have.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge running 10k vs. 14k? Thoughts? TYIA
 
Hey guys,

I am thinking of trying a 10k bulb to emphasize growth. I am just curious to to people opinion regarding 10k bulbs.

Currently I run 2x 250 DE Phoenix bulbs with 2 Blue+ T5's and a 36" actinic Truelumen LED strip. I was wondering if I would be adding a lot of PAR if I went to a 10k bulb. Growth is good, but I want to experiment with a different bulb this time around. I feel my tank is rather blue with all the supplementation I already have.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge running 10k vs. 14k? Thoughts? TYIA

Yes I've been here many times over the last 12 years. It takes a lot to balance a 10k 250w DE bulb. IME you need 4 blue t5's to make it look not so yellow, and overall appealing look. I was never a fan of 250 DE's because of the bulb selection and spread. SE 250 bulbs can spread more and supplements blend in better.
I ran 250w 10k blv (ushio) at one point and had 3 VHO actinics. The color was still a little yellow but not too bad. The 250w 10k bulbs appear MUCH brighter than a phoenix bulb. I'm not sure about par numbers though. You can probably find Sanjay's bulb stats somewhere for comparison.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 29.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new