Halide to led acclimation

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got a few sps corals the other day. Pink poci, green poci, tyree tri color, blueberry miyagi, mystic cap, orange cap, and hulk milli. These were grown under metal halides, mother colonies and subsequent frags. What kind of light acclimation should I be doing here if any?

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What wattage halides?, I had 175 watt halides and grew sps like softballs, when i put on 400 watts halides could never grow sps killed them only ,But this was in the 90s
Started up a 50 gallon aio cube with leds recently
currently have everything at 100 percent but started at 50 or 60 percent then gradually went to 75 80 percent then 100 percent with a diffuser
I find leds weaker then halides , but once you find a sweat spot leds are fine.

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your call,
From my expierence with led companys they pretty much say lps 20 to 25 percent, but i think they are pretty much being cautious, led are not plug and play just be careful with them
Note:they do grow colorful corals

eric.tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from two 315w halides to LED lights not too long ago, start off low and raise up the intensity over a couple weeks. It won’t look as bright as a halide, but LED lights are pretty much little lasers. Take it low and slow, then bring them up. What kind of LED lights are you running? I know radions have an acclimation mode.

OP
OP
Dryanimtt

Dryanimtt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a maxspect razor r420r 160w and actinic blue lumi lite pro. Current par levels are a little lower than this right now, running them at 26% white and 68% blue at peak right now.
20201206_142938.jpg

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think those numbers look good, but remember every thank is different, there are alot of other variables on keeping sps, keep it basic .

eric.tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert with sps by any means, but what I have been told is, start them off lower in the tank and slowly move them up. Mind you this was when I ran halides. So you could take a hybrid approach, lower the LED output a bit and start the sps off in the mid to low range. If it seems like they’re starving for light, move them up. My birds nest is a tank, I had an all spike, it bleached, and came back with a vengeance. I had a digi that I placed too high to quickly and ran into RTN, it bleached, and lost it. If they start losing color or browning out, they’re not happy.

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Par numbers look good in the middle for acros,
lower half maybe a foreset fire digi or bubblegum digi or tubbs stellata
your call,
k so you have a good understanding on dealing with leds

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back