Halloween hermit crab walking on my rhodactis mushrooms

lostrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my cleanup crew consisting of a few Trochus snails, a Cowrie snail, and a halloween hermit crab. The crab is a character and likes exploring--in fact he climbed along the silicone of my aquarium, reached the top, grabbed onto a snail near the surface and was riding him, until he fell down. Anyways, he enjoys walking along my rockwork, and that includes walking over my Rhodactis mushrooms, and dragging his shell along them. Both the bigger mushroom and the smaller one on different occasions looked like they were spewing their guts out when they didn't like his trampling.

Not sure if I should wait and see how the hermit crab adjusts to my aquarium, because it has only been a few days. I just want to make sure that he doesn't consistently bother coral in the rockwork (keep in mind this is a new aquarium and there aren't many corals), but longer term, I want to make sure he doesn't bother corals by walking on them.

Thoughts?

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
halloween crabs tend to go after corals, I had to remove them from my display tank,,, they were munching on my sps... and you have to keep an eye on the crowie because they can also go after corals as well.

OP
OP
L

lostrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I DID have some hair algae on the rock around the Rhodactis mushrooms and I just realized all of that is gone now. So the hermit crab was probably cleaning that up and had to walk over them to do it. Just realized that now lol. Now I feel bad about bad mouthing him on the internet :(

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I DID have some hair algae on the rock around the Rhodactis mushrooms and I just realized all of that is gone now. So the hermit crab was probably cleaning that up and had to walk over them to do it. Just realized that now lol. Now I feel bad about bad mouthing him on the internet :(
so Ive had a slight outbreak of hair algae, and the dove snails I have are taking care of it... the strange thing is that it was growing on a couple of my sps corals, and nowhere else.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back