Halloween Urchin and Bryopsis?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Halloween urchin coming tomorrow that I got because I always wanted an urchin and those guys look so cool! I also got it because I heard they are great algae eaters. I have an ever growing outbreak of Bryopsis, a few small pockets of bubble algae, and green hair algae (but mostly Bryopsis) in my 50gal mixed reef. I know there are some chemical options but figured I would start with a more “natural” approach. Anyone have these guys? Any tips? All my frags are glued down (lol)
Will they clean the hair algae growing between my GSP? Will they go after any of my other corals? Thanks!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No on the hair and bubble.
Yellow tangs eat bubble.
Sea hares about the only thing I know eats hair. But you have to rent one because they eat about a sq foot a day and in a week they will starve.
My lawnmower ate all my bryopsis.
Cant say the small urchins eat much as I have a big pencil that cleans my rocks

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No on the hair and bubble.
Yellow tangs eat bubble.
Sea hares about the only thing I know eats hair. But you have to rent one because they eat about a sq foot a day and in a week they will starve.
My lawnmower ate all my bryopsis.
Cant say the small urchins eat much as I have a big pencil that cleans my rocks
Can’t do a tang - tanks too small for it (50gal)

I have heard sea hares work too but my lfs doesn’t rent them
I like the idea of a lawnmower but I already have a Midas blenny so idk if it will work with 2 of them in such a small tank

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs will help with algae too. I have a lawnmower and emerald in my tank. Both help but don't solve the algae issue. Still have to do your best to remove it by hand. They just do maintenance on it.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Emerald crabs will help with algae too. I have a lawnmower and emerald in my tank. Both help but don't solve the algae issue. Still have to do your best to remove it by hand. They just do maintenance on it.
I thought about an emerald crab! But aren’t they like ******reef safe******* lol
I’d rather the algae than my emerald crab eating my torches or zoas lol

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them for a year or so. Never seen them eating anything but algae.

george7523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best algae eater is mexican turbo snail. Because they don't bother the corals as much and you can catch them easily to place them over problematic areas. Also they are cheaper and more constant algae eaters I think

Back