Hammer - 2 heads, but one dying

  • Thread starter Thread starter RaymondL
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RaymondL

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2022
Messages
989
Reaction score
354
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Kansas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a smaller 'younger' hammer that I acquired, which one head appears not doing well, and I don't think it's going to recover - the other head next to it I think so far looks okay. Should I cut off the one that isn't doing well, or should I just leave it? I'm not familiar what the issue(s) are if I leave the 'dying' one as is.

20240715_162614.jpg
 
Personally I would leave it. It doesn't look totally gone, so there's a chance it might recover. Also, the stress of pulling it out of the tank and cutting it might have bad affect on the currently healthy polyp. Nothing happens if it dies in your tank, your filtration can handle a small dead polyp, hammers don't release toxins.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new