Hammer and Torch help

  • Thread starter Thread starter DmitryB
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DmitryB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 26, 2026
Messages
1,205
Reaction score
925
Location
Hunter, NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm having the hardest time getting my Torch and Hammer - and frankly, Gonis - to open up. They are all just bunched up and I can't quite figure it out. This is across two different tanks. There's a Holy Crusader Branching Hammer and a Torch Rasta from Australia. Both are nice, healthy frags. And they're just unhappy. The rest of the corals, including LPSs like Favias, opening nicely. So are Zoas. The wavy corals are just not having it. Is it a flow issue? They are not in super high flow areas, more mid. What can I do to help these guys out?
IMG_8061.jpg
IMG_8062.jpg
 
The hammer doesn't look bad to me.

How old is the torch?

How are your water parameters looking?
 
As mentioned, what are your parameters? If they come back good then it’s either flow or light. Light should be moderate about 150 par. Hammer needs on the lower side of moderate random flow, enough to make it jiggle. The torch needs on the higher end moderate random flow. Here’s some videos of flow in my tank.



 
The readings yesterday. (Not sure about the Ammonia spike, but did a water change late last night.) I've had the Hammer for a couple of months. The Torch for one week.

40 gallon with the Hammer
40.png


The 170 gallon with the Torch
170.png
 
I would test nitrite with another test kit, 1.0 seems quite high. Things in the tank look decent, so I am thinking this is a testing error.

A week old torch usually would start to seem normal by now, the hammer looks great. If the torch is in low flow I would move it to more medium flow and see if it helps.
 
I would test nitrite with another test kit, 1.0 seems quite high. Things in the tank look decent, so I am thinking this is a testing error.

A week old torch usually would start to seem normal by now, the hammer looks great. If the torch is in low flow I would move it to more medium flow and see if it helps.
So the Nitrite I actually haven't tested in weeks. That number is old and the app just keeps the last value. I should check just so I can zero it out. I was not too concerned since nitrites are not a problem for reefs? Or is that just fish? Do corals care?

If you guys think the Hammer looks good, then good! I thought it'd be wavier. But I will try to move it up a bit as well. The Torch though... I'll try moving it as well to another spot.
 
So the Nitrite I actually haven't tested in weeks. That number is old and the app just keeps the last value. I should check just so I can zero it out. I was not too concerned since nitrites are not a problem for reefs? Or is that just fish? Do corals care?

If you guys think the Hammer looks good, then good! I thought it'd be wavier. But I will try to move it up a bit as well. The Torch though... I'll try moving it as well to another spot.
Critters sometimes just like different spots.

Nitrites (my understanding) generally not an issue, but a reading of 1.0 would likely say that your biological filtration is inadequate.

I'd personally want to test and verify that this 1.0 number is "stale", which it likely is.
 
Critters sometimes just like different spots.

Nitrites (my understanding) generally not an issue, but a reading of 1.0 would likely say that your biological filtration is inadequate.

I'd personally want to test and verify that this 1.0 number is "stale", which it likely is.
I re-tested Nitrite today. First Hanna gave me a reading of 7. I re-did it and it gave me a reading of 1. I couldn't find my RedSea kits to verify.
 
Get your Magnesium up. My lps were all the happiest at 1400+.
Be aware that raising Mg will also increase Kh and Ca. So tread carefully if your other corals are happy and raise it over the course of a few days.
 
Get your Magnesium up. My lps were all the happiest at 1400+. But be aware that raising Mag will also increase Kh and Ca so make sure you do it slowly if you’re going to.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new