Hammer Bailout

Seafeather

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 1, 2025
Messages
83
Reaction score
85
Location
Paris
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. Anyone ever have a hammer just bail out for absolutely no reason whatsoever?
My whole tank is doing completely fine. I thought the hammer was fine too. Yesterday it was open and happy like usual. The only thing i can say thats different is I moved the powerhead to give it a bit more direct flow, but it wasnt even direct. It was very passive movement.

No signs of disease, no unhappy extended retraction. Just...bailed.
05a72f9d-75cc-4706-880d-53d0f89e6a60.jpg


0b961dbc-f8b2-4578-9254-dbdb8209e9a0.jpg
 
Yeah I've had a couple of bailouts over the years. The first one drifted somewhere behind the rocks and I never found it. I nestled the second one between a rock and the side of the tank. It eventually grew a skeleton and did just fine. A bailout doesn't necessarily mean it's lost.
 
Yeah I've had a couple of bailouts over the years. The first one drifted somewhere behind the rocks and I never found it. I nestled the second one between a rock and the side of the tank. It eventually grew a skeleton and did just fine. A bailout doesn't necessarily mean it's lost.
Thats good to know. I put it back in the tank in the cup as a safe space for it. Removed the skeleton though.
 
For my two cents: something was going on with it for a while. There is no white on that skeleton at the base of the head, which to me indicates the flesh band was receded. From what I’ve seen on my hammers, the flesh band usually goes down the skeleton a bit and keeps some white as it grows IMG_8508.jpeg
 
The band was down for quite a while. I hadnt noticed any changes. It was never all the way down, but it was enough to show it was still attached.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new