Hammer coral losing polyps/tentacles?

jellyfish123

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 28, 2024
Messages
86
Reaction score
113
Location
Queensland
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I was sold this "sick" hammer in January at a very cheap price. My tank was three months old when I bought it and the hammer seemed to do alright. But fast forward to now, it's lost a lot of it's tentacles but they're puffy. Just wondering if it's on the way do dying? Is there any point keeping this one? Every other lps and soft coral in my tank seems puffy and healthy and showing growth. I've attached then and now photos, you will see significantly less polyps.
I don't have water parameters as we are bracing for a category 2 cyclone tonight and local fish shops are all shut. It's a 25 gallon tank and i do 10% water changes weekly with natural seawater. Thanks in advance!

PXL_20250118_112312879.MP.jpg PXL_20250305_033933658.MP.jpg PXL_20250305_033943813.MP.jpg
 
I wouldn't give up on it just yet. If everything else is doing fine in your tank, then I would try a different location for that piece.
I do recommend eventually getting your own test kits, it's worth the investment.
 
^^ Pretty much what Tahoe said.

I had one with two heads, one head died, the other looked dreadful, but it recovered and is doing great now. I wish I had fragging equipment so I could cut the dead head off as it looks weird.
 
^^ Pretty much what Tahoe said.

I had one with two heads, one head died, the other looked dreadful, but it recovered and is doing great now. I wish I had fragging equipment so I could cut the dead head off as it looks weird.
That's awesome to hear! I've moved it elsewhere, let's see how it goes! Maybe you can take it to your local shop to get it fragged?
 
That's awesome to hear! I've moved it elsewhere, let's see how it goes! Maybe you can take it to your local shop to get it fragged?
I'm sure I could, but that just seems too stressful for the coral and me.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new