Hammer coral okay. Dying?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joethefish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Joethefish

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 5, 2022
Messages
31
Reaction score
4
Location
new york
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so this is my first post on the forum. I have a 15g reef tank that I setup about 7 months ago. I have 2 clown fish a goby, a bunch of zoas, a green mushroom, gsp, and a new hammer coral I got yesterday. I’ve had hammers before (1) but it was bigger and seemed stronger. It died from a calcium deficiency. Anyway, I feel like this one is looking rough. Calcium 415 ppm. Ammonia nitrate nitrite 0. Salinity 1 .027. I drip acclimated for 1.5 hrs. Is it just acclimating? I have a 130 gph power head also and this is the link (https://www.u-buy.com.tw/en/product...light-with-dual-channel-wired-controller-nano) to the light I have. (6.5 hrs a day) the hammer it had some algae on it so I used a turkey baster to get it off but that’s it

image.jpg image.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 66311906104__29F4C42E-45A8-49F9-A651-9478D927C17E.MOV
    668.6 KB
Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yes for sure need some snails for the algae at least. The Nassarius snails are fun and help the sand and eat left over food but won't touch the algae. Get a couple mexican turbo and some astrea or trochus

At least try a couple mexican turbo snails first before going with something like reef flux.
Ok sounds good. I went to the store and guy working there was helping my find a clean up crew and showed me the Mexican turbo snails but said that they were sick and not to buy them. I’ll see if they have a better batch when I go next time. Thank you for all your help this far!
Yeah I will also rinse the old media in tank water. Because I am not bleaching them, should I still add some bottled bacteria?
You can. I would focus on getting everything cleaned and if you would like to add microbacter or some bottled brand sure. You will have no nitrate or phosphate the first week. Target feed
 
Upvote 0
You can. I would focus on getting everything cleaned and if you would like to add microbacter or some bottled brand sure. You will have no nitrate or phosphate the first week. Target feed
Ok. Are you familiar with Oyster Feast Coral Food. If so do you know if I can feed it to my zoas?
 
Upvote 0
Ok. Are you familiar with Oyster Feast Coral Food. If so do you know if I can feed it to my zoas?
Every zoa is different. All will probably benefit from feedings but they all respond differently. Some close up to capture large particles, others use an invisible mucus layer to slowly drag captured food in, some don't seem to respond at all but like elevated nutrients in the water.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new