Hammer coral okay. Dying?

Joethefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so this is my first post on the forum. I have a 15g reef tank that I setup about 7 months ago. I have 2 clown fish a goby, a bunch of zoas, a green mushroom, gsp, and a new hammer coral I got yesterday. I’ve had hammers before (1) but it was bigger and seemed stronger. It died from a calcium deficiency. Anyway, I feel like this one is looking rough. Calcium 415 ppm. Ammonia nitrate nitrite 0. Salinity 1 .027. I drip acclimated for 1.5 hrs. Is it just acclimating? I have a 130 gph power head also and this is the link (https://www.u-buy.com.tw/en/product...light-with-dual-channel-wired-controller-nano) to the light I have. (6.5 hrs a day) the hammer it had some algae on it so I used a turkey baster to get it off but that’s it

image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• 66311906104__29F4C42E-45A8-49F9-A651-9478D927C17E.MOV
    668.6 KB
Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yes for sure need some snails for the algae at least. The Nassarius snails are fun and help the sand and eat left over food but won't touch the algae. Get a couple mexican turbo and some astrea or trochus

At least try a couple mexican turbo snails first before going with something like reef flux.
Ok sounds good. I went to the store and guy working there was helping my find a clean up crew and showed me the Mexican turbo snails but said that they were sick and not to buy them. I’ll see if they have a better batch when I go next time. Thank you for all your help this far!

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will also rinse the old media in tank water. Because I am not bleaching them, should I still add some bottled bacteria?
You can. I would focus on getting everything cleaned and if you would like to add microbacter or some bottled brand sure. You will have no nitrate or phosphate the first week. Target feed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Joethefish

Joethefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can. I would focus on getting everything cleaned and if you would like to add microbacter or some bottled brand sure. You will have no nitrate or phosphate the first week. Target feed
Ok. Are you familiar with Oyster Feast Coral Food. If so do you know if I can feed it to my zoas?

Upvote 0

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Are you familiar with Oyster Feast Coral Food. If so do you know if I can feed it to my zoas?
Every zoa is different. All will probably benefit from feedings but they all respond differently. Some close up to capture large particles, others use an invisible mucus layer to slowly drag captured food in, some don't seem to respond at all but like elevated nutrients in the water.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back