Hammer Coral Receding Tissue

  • Thread starter Thread starter testuser
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Hey, we have all been there, keep doing what you’re doing, picking your self back up and learning from it. When I started in the mid 90’s it was all trial and error with good andbad advice from local lfs’s.
Thank you very much! I'll see how long these other corals last, look into aquacultured next time, and maybe after having a more established tank that's finished the ugly phase, it'll make my life a little bit easier.
 
Sorry about your hammer. I have quite a few hammers/euphyllia and they will occasionally drop heads like that completely unexpectedly and very quickly. My theory is that they become injured somehow (a fish nips at them, they get stung by a neighboring coral) and an infection takes over. I have many fewer problems with my aquacultured colonies compared to my wild caught colonies.
 
Sorry about your hammer. I have quite a few hammers/euphyllia and they will occasionally drop heads like that completely unexpectedly and very quickly. My theory is that they become injured somehow (a fish nips at them, they get stung by a neighboring coral) and an infection takes over. I have many fewer problems with my aquacultured colonies compared to my wild caught colonies.
Yeah, definitely my same thought given how sudden it was, that some infection got to it. Unfortunately, my mini scoly may have experienced something similar, but I'll try my best next time. Maybe after the ugly phase is cycled through and my tank is older, I'll pickup only aquacultured, hardier corals. I saw that Pacific East has some of those.
 
Yeah, definitely my same thought given how sudden it was, that some infection got to it. Unfortunately, my mini scoly may have experienced something similar, but I'll try my best next time. Maybe after the ugly phase is cycled through and my tank is older, I'll pickup only aquacultured, hardier corals. I saw that Pacific East has some of those.
FYI, it looks like it was "polyp bailout" per Tidal Gardens. Great video on the subject for those curious. I'm not sure what was out of whack in my tank to cause this abrupt end for the hammer, but I'll check my refractometer to make sure it's still calibrated correctly:

 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new