Hammer Coral Recovery

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kasrift
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kasrift

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2022
Messages
16,890
Reaction score
30,296
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I bought a hammer Coral from my LFS and I have two questions.

1). Do you think it is bleached?
2). Best method to bring it back to health.

I bought this as kind of a gamble, it looked bleached to me, but had good base colors. I have a pretty successful tank (if you were to ask me, jaded opinion I know), but have always bought healthy coral. I started it in a low light/low flow areas of my tank, but I think it is looking better with a little more light. I don't want to stress it out, so trying to figure out if it is bleached from too much light or if it would be ok at about 100 par (which is my sand bed if it isn't in an overhang).

P_20221027_142252.jpg
 
I bought a hammer Coral from my LFS and I have two questions.

1). Do you think it is bleached?
2). Best method to bring it back to health.

I bought this as kind of a gamble, it looked bleached to me, but had good base colors. I have a pretty successful tank (if you were to ask me, jaded opinion I know), but have always bought healthy coral. I started it in a low light/low flow areas of my tank, but I think it is looking better with a little more light. I don't want to stress it out, so trying to figure out if it is bleached from too much light or if it would be ok at about 100 par (which is my sand bed if it isn't in an overhang).

P_20221027_142252.jpg
Semi-bleached and likely due to previous lack of light
While they’re not picky about location, sand will irritate it and they do best about the lower third of tank under moderate light and water flow
If polyps are swaying heavy or bent over skeleton- too much flow
Feed mysis shrimp 2x a week assure nitrate level is not elevated
 
Thanks. I can put it above the sand, I have spare printed reef mounts for sand or rockwork. Any concern over the par level?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new