Hammer coral recovery

jwesley5480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Got a question about hammer coral as this is my first time having one. I know they prefer moderate light and flow and while I thought I was providing that it seems maybe it was still a little to much. Some of the polyps retracted back into the skeleton. Since then I’ve dialed things in and it seems to be doing better but some of the skeleton is exposed. I’m wondering how long it will take for things to grow back?

my parameters arer
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 13
Phosphate.13
Cal 460
Dkh 9.3
Mag 1320
Ph 8.2

though my nitrates and phosphate is high i am due a water change tomorrow to bring them back down. Any info would be awesome and appreciated. Hear a pic of the little guy.

F77F789A-408E-4BA0-A110-00ADF1DC8546.jpeg

Last edited:

Coral-vault

DFW's Premier Aquatics Dealer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have skin going down the skeleton?
Make sure the flow is not ripping the skin and if the coral is new start it lower in the tank and move up as it acclimates

OP
OP
J

jwesley5480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like a polyp bailout? If so then no I don’t see anything like that happening. It’s been in my tank for about two weeks. What’s the average acclimation time for lps. My lfs said I could drip acclimate and then place it where ever I expected it to stay. Bad advice?

Coral-vault

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like a polyp bailout? If so then no I don’t see anything like that happening. It’s been in my tank for about two weeks. What’s the average acclimation time for lps. My lfs said I could drip acclimate and then place it where ever I expected it to stay. Bad advice?

From the photo above it seems like its doing fine. If your tank runs out of trace elements then sometimes the tissue will recede. Or if its fresh from the wild then normally the hammers are low on skin and it has to develop and grow in your tank. Process can take a month or two for the hammer to get really healthy.

OP
OP
J

jwesley5480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K. I’ll keep an eye on it and continue to test. I don’t have many coral that my nutrients get slurped up fast because I wanted to add a few and see how they did before adding more. My torch is doing absolutely amazing at the moment any all other corals seem happy. So now seems like a solid time to get more if this hammer proved to be ok.

Coral-vault

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K. I’ll keep an eye on it and continue to test. I don’t have many coral that my nutrients get slurped up fast because I wanted to add a few and see how they did before adding more. My torch is doing absolutely amazing at the moment any all other corals seem happy. So now seems like a solid time to get more if this hammer proved to be ok.
If other corals are doing amazing, I would think the hammer just needs more time

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 135 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back