Hammer coral weird growth

Vdlibrtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, i have a hammer coral thats been in my tank for a while, it did really well the first week or so, but after that its always been slightly retracted (or more) it doesn't seem like it's dying or anything, but it has these branch like protrusions coming from its base, one is pretty close to the polyps and im wondering if it could be irritating it. Any ideas what these growths are?

Also probably worth noting this guy came with a few hydroids attached near the frag plug and a bunch of algae from a store I wont be going to anymore.

16201759581807374193047634762434.jpg 16201760197691588449496850606844.jpg

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you refer to vermetid snails, tube worms that build these calcified tunnels and throw out tentacles to capture food. They can irritate corals and are unwanted. Supergluing the hole, or crushing them seems to be common. I have them, did not cause too much upset in my system.

OP
OP
V

Vdlibrtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you refer to vermetid snails, tube worms that build these calcified tunnels and throw out tentacles to capture food. They can irritate corals and are unwanted. Supergluing the hole, or crushing them seems to be common. I have them, did not cause too much upset in my system.
Yeah, I have never seen any sort of tentacles ever come out of them, but its definitely a tunnel like protrusion. It definitely wouldn't hurt the coral if I crush it and it's not a vermitid snail?

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing the worm does not hurt the coral. The worm is white, about 1 cm at the other end Ed the tube, and you can get it out with a toothpick.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back