Hammer coral won’t open

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bsnazzle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bsnazzle

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 12, 2018
Messages
8
Reaction score
2
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t seem to figure out why my hammer coral won’t open. I hope it’s alright any I can my make adjustments.
My nitrates are at 20
My ak is at 7
Any thoughts?
ca66395dc32373614f272cc7781a7738.jpg
 
If you think it still has life; use a dip like Revive. It could have issues with parasites, worms, or other. I have brought back some "dead" corals that I buy for only a few dollars each from the LFS and they turn out to be healthy corals with the right care and time. I currently have half a dozen corals re-growing from what looked like nothing. I do agree that looks too far gone but I don't see the whole picture from where I sit.

Routinely dip all my corals about every other month to see what comes off them and you would be surprised what you find.
 
Welcome to R2R!
I think what Mich2599 meant to say was you probably need to invest in a new hammer.
 
Don't toss it yet. Give it 6 weeks. Seriously. If it were me, I'd keep it low and give it a little flow. I'd also consider reducing your nitrates a bit.
 
If you think it still has life; use a dip like Revive. It could have issues with parasites, worms, or other. I have brought back some "dead" corals that I buy for only a few dollars each from the LFS and they turn out to be healthy corals with the right care and time. I currently have half a dozen corals re-growing from what looked like nothing. I do agree that looks too far gone but I don't see the whole picture from where I sit.

Routinely dip all my corals about every other month to see what comes off them and you would be surprised what you find.

Thanks for the information!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new