Hammer Coral

I.M.JR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.
Recently one of my branching hammer lost a small piece of tissue on one of its heads, and its currently sitting on the bottom of my tank for about 2 days now, it seems to be open as if it was an individual head.
Q: Is it possible for a hammerhead coral to split like that and grow to be a new head without the use of the bone structure?
thanks.

F2B36B25-DD01-4940-BEF0-1358F88D1F50.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They do this when stressed or offered too much water flow
Rarely do they attach and recover but I’ve seen it happen at least once
You can place it into a cavity on live rock and see if it takes to it but very low flow in that area will be necessary

OP
OP
I.M.JR

I.M.JR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do this when stressed or offered too much water flow
Rarely do they attach and recover but I’ve seen it happen at least once
You can place it into a cavity on live rock and see if it takes to it but very low flow in that area will be necessary
This is piece came from a head that somehow was damaged and was falling off, but the head reattached back tot he bone, but left this 1/4” piece falling till I just realized recently.

OP
OP
I.M.JR

I.M.JR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just glued it to a frag, and while I was carefully picking it up, I realized it has a piece of the exoskeleton from the head, it all makes sense now, hopefully I can make a full head out of it one day. “Natural fragging” haha

Alex808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a glass Anem cup and threw a hammer polyp that bailed out in it. Survived for a while

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just glued it to a frag, and while I was carefully picking it up, I realized it has a piece of the exoskeleton from the head, it all makes sense now, hopefully I can make a full head out of it one day. “Natural fragging” haha
Not polyp bailout if there’s some original skeleton.
Looks like it’s a baby frag now.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a piece of the skeleton with it, it was probably broken off somehow.... If it was polyp bailout, it wouldn't have skeleton. I've had newly added euphyllia drop a tentacle or two when being added to a new tank. Seems to be some type of defensive mechanism. But this doesn't seem to be that.... Since this coral has been in the tank for a while. Glad you were able to glue it to a frag.

OP
OP
I.M.JR

I.M.JR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a piece of the skeleton with it, it was probably broken off somehow.... If it was polyp bailout, it wouldn't have skeleton. I've had newly added euphyllia drop a tentacle or two when being added to a new tank. Seems to be some type of defensive mechanism. But this doesn't seem to be that.... Since this coral has been in the tank for a while. Glad you were able to glue it to a frag.
Correct, honestly I don’t know how this happened, I don’t even have big fish that can cause such a thing. But hey, I’m happy for the new frag lol.

OP
OP
I.M.JR

I.M.JR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed, I’m super happy that I have a new mini frag and I don’t have to stress my hammer

Back