Hammer dying or sick?

Wakestyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, bought a hammer it looked super flowy and interesting so I grabbed it from my lfs and now I think it might just be a sick coral. Second photo is what it looked like when I bought it.
201A84E6-5356-4BE0-A3E2-759A13397F99.jpeg
616F6ABF-4B98-48CF-B090-DAB0532EC450.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things we will need. Let's start with current parameters; alk, nitrate, phosphate, calcium and magnesium. Age of the tank and lighting being used.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
First issue I see is location. They do best at the lower third of tank. They are fond of sudden changes also in water quality especially salinuty, nitrates and temperature. Since they are a large polyp stony coral, calcium and alkalinity are two very important water parameters that will affect the growth of your coral. This coral will start to die off if the calcium levels are too low. A calcium level of about 400 ppm is just right.
Where you have it placed is likely giving it too much light and flow causing it to Pout as it is doing.
Avoid extremely bright locations or areas of very high current, and avoid areas that are too dark or with currents that are too low. Fast currents risk damaging the soft, fleshy polyps (and getting an infection). Bright lights will cause bleaching. Insufficient lighting will cause the hammer to wither away and starve to death.
Hammer corals only require a moderate amount of light for photosynthesis and can grow well in the intermediate regions of your tank. Just about any reef LED lighting should be sufficient for most tanks. Reduce white light intensity and lower it.
The polyps should sway in the current, but not sustain so much pressure they are constantly bent over their skeleton. Too much flow will tear the polyps (worst case) and cause the polyps do not extend in the first place (best case). So, don’t give them too much flow.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was doing for in your lfs it should be doing fine in your tank. If it wasn’t doing fine in your lfs you can just pray it would do in your tank. I got lucky with my anemone.

Back