Hammer Dying

Pazzo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I take this hammer out and try to cut the dying head off. It appears as if the head is just melting away. I cant tell if it's a wall hammer or branching. The heads are very close but it looks as if there is a second head.

20211022_094757.jpg
20211022_095240.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some Polyp Lab Reef Primer. Note that the instructions are for the whole (small) bottle, so you'll need to recalculate based on the volume of water that you actually use.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? Anything changed? The left side looks toast but the right could pull through. I see the flesh is not very extended down the skeleton. The hammer is in rough shape.

OP
OP
P

Pazzo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters? Anything changed? The left side looks toast but the right could pull through. I see the flesh is not very extended down the skeleton. The hammer is in rough shape.
I'm going to retest everything. Logically my other new hammer and blasto are fine. Anemones fine. This one hammer just went to crap. I was adding additional fresh salt water because I am tuning my skimmer and the coral just crapped out.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So not too low to be alarming. Any livestock in the tank that could nip? Blennies, angels, some inverts? Or sand got in it possibly. Hard to say. Keep in lower flow, keep params stable, leave salinity alone for now to avoid further stress.

OP
OP
P

Pazzo40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So not too low to be alarming. Any livestock in the tank that could nip? Blennies, angels, some inverts? Or sand got in it possibly. Hard to say. Keep in lower flow, keep params stable, leave salinity alone for now to avoid further stress.
I have 2 clowns, a yellow watchman and a Midas Blenny. He is never near the coral. Nothing has been near it. I was going to take a trip to the LFS and get 2 additional hammers. Now I'm worried.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back