Hammer jumping ship

Mathman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now had two heads over the last few months fall off. I goes from looking healthy to just leaving the skeleton and I see the polyps on the sand. Weird. All parameters I believe are ok other than phosphate being high (.38) . Looking for some expert help because something must be wrong.

24/7ReeFTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now had two heads over the last few months fall off. I goes from looking healthy to just leaving the skeleton and I see the polyps on the sand. Weird. All parameters I believe are ok other than phosphate being high (.38) . Looking for some expert help because something must be wrong.
I have had some misfortune with hammers myself. Does there appear to be brown jelly.
How many heads are left? Any pics?

OP
OP
M

Mathman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No jelly or any signs of distress prior.

20200121_155426.jpg

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had exactly the same yesterday, I noticed 1 head on the sand, I performed a water change lastnight just incase and while doing I wafted my hand in front of another head to blow a bit of loose algae I'd missed siphoning, that was floating towards it and in doing so it wafted the head clean off the stem. I've had the hammers for over 13 years now and 3.5 years in this current tank. No lighting change, no flow change.
Alk 9
Calcium 420
Mag 1320
Temp 78
Ph 8
No3 10
P04 0.06
The photo was taken tonight. The heads are still alive in a low flow area so um stuck as to what has caused it. I haven't seen the clowns go anywhere near it.
Screenshot_20200210-185440_Gallery.jpg

Back