Hammer Lighting and Placement

benrupnik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, moving things around and want to make a small hammer garden on the front of my rockwork. Currently have my largest hammer glued to the rock but just wondering if part of the hammer being in the shade will affect it? Photos attached but maybe only 1/6th of the hammer polyps are shaded. Thank you!
1B6769A6-E7CC-40B2-868A-0F30EF6D5792.jpeg
682FCD08-CAB1-4BF8-ADE4-A94EFA98662C.jpeg

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a PAR meter? You can have LPS in the 75-150 range so "shade" depends on what the PAR is in direct lighting. I dn't think having that little of an amount in shade would hurt it. Just make sure the flow is right.

Pretty Hammer BTW

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, but depends on your lighting and placement for the size of tank. I think these prefer somewhere in the 200 PAR range but do well in moderate flow areas towards the lower center of the tank. I've seen people put them on the bottom too provided there's sufficient flow and reach, as these will sting other corals.

Dakota_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, but depends on your lighting and placement for the size of tank. I think these prefer somewhere in the 200 PAR range but do well in moderate flow areas towards the lower center of the tank. I've seen people put them on the bottom too provided there's sufficient flow and reach, as these will sting other corals.
200? I have a hammer in 100PAR and he's growing and happy. Had him for a about 5 or 6 months. But agree that they will sting anything near them.

OP
OP
B

benrupnik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a PAR meter? You can have LPS in the 75-150 range so "shade" depends on what the PAR is in direct lighting. I dn't think having that little of an amount in shade would hurt it. Just make sure the flow is right.

Pretty Hammer BTW
Unfortunately I don’t. Lighting seems adequate as it is two thirds down and have some Monti growing well in the upper third. I guess I’ll just leave it and see how it pans out, just hoping the shaded areas don’t die out.
Thanks! That hammer was direct from a coral collector here in Western Australia. might have cost me $50AUD

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200? I have a hammer in 100PAR and he's growing and happy. Had him for a about 5 or 6 months. But agree that they will sting anything near them.
That's what I read, yes. I can see that too. My single head frag is a multi-headed colony and it loves light.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back