Hammer retracted and showing mouth

pinkfloyd1312

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one has been retracting for a little over a week and this morning I noticed its mouth was sticking out like I've never seen before. I moved him lower in the tank a few days ago just to see if that would help but he hasn't improved. I've had him about 4 months. Is he toast? Parameters are good and other corals are all doing fine. I did get new lights a week or so ago but he was doing this before then and I've been easing the lights intensity up slowly to acclimate and I dont think that's the issue. Thoughts?

20191109_101445.jpg

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture is a little blurry and can’t see too much. I do see the skeleton on the lower portion of the head... do you see any brown jelly like substance around it? Have you tried doing a melafix dip? Has the flow changed since it started doing that?

OP
OP
P

pinkfloyd1312

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights aren't on yet so it's a little dark. No jelly, I've been watching for that. I did put in a new powerhead last weekend when I did the lightring upgrade but he wasnt looking right before that.

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with my euphyllia and even tho it wasn’t as bad as you the flow was the culprit. I moved all my euphyllia to the sandbed and behind a rock now they're all open and happy.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lower the frag, decrease white and increase blue lighting and moderate water flow. Give it a couple of gentle fans with a turkey baster and see how it looks tonight (should be improvement)

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower the frag, decrease white and increase blue lighting and moderate water flow. Give it a couple of gentle fans with a turkey baster and see how it looks tonight (should be improvement)
I found that for euphyllia a quick melafix dip helps them fight off anything bothering them too especially if they’re fighting some infection.

OP
OP
P

pinkfloyd1312

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to amputate? Looks a bit like jelly though I've never seen brown jelly in person as I am still new to all of this.

20191113_172048.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back