Hammercoral Closed up over night

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... to answer your question, these parameters aren't close to what I keep in my tank.

While ALK is high at 15, and the normal range is 8-12, it really isn't that high. I wouldn't recommend intervening to get a 4 or 5 point drop in ALK. It will go down on its own through normal tank consumption.

I don't think I'm doing too bad...

Tank with blues.jpeg

1706908919696.jpeg
Definitely shouldn’t be a sharp drop but it most definitely needs to come down. I would hold off on getting any new pieces until you can bring it down to a comfortable range

Nice tank btw, how long has it been up?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely shouldn’t be a sharp drop but it most definitely needs to come down. I would hold off on getting any new pieces until you can bring it down to a comfortable range

Nice tank btw, how long has it been up?

Thank you.

The first pic is of a 40 long. The second pic is of a 33 long. They are only 12" deep. I run LOOP IC Pros on them (4 fixtures on each tank). Good results.

I built the 33 long May, 2018. The 40 long was set up within a year of the other.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

The first pic is of a 40 long. The second pic is of a 33 long. They are only 12" deep. I run LOOP IC Pros on them (4 fixtures on each tank). Good results.

I built the 33 long May, 2018. The 40 long was set up within a year of the other.
4 years, pretty sweet man.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you topping off with your tap water? If so I'd stop that immediately. Get rodi from the lfs or distilled from the grocery store. This will help bring down alkalinity. 3.0 po4 is really high, I didnt hit 3.0 with 2 bamboo cat sharks and a coral cat shark and a bunch of other non-reef safe large fish tied into my reef system. I am guessing tap water for top off again or maybe faulty test result. If you drip acclimated your hammer over a long enough time to these parameters it may have been ok (probably not but may have), if you just dropped it in (that probably huge parameter swing) could cause what you are seeing. In a more normal range 8-12 dkh a swing of 1-2 dkh during acclimation wont hurt a coral too much, make it unhappy possibly. Thats anywhere from a 3-7dkh swing thats a lot.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.3%
Back