Hang on sumps?

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Please can you advise how to add a sump onto a tank not designed for one as the tabnk does not have an overflow (and I want to avoid cutting/drilling the glass as that would probably lead to disaster in my hands.) Its a small tank (32 US gallon) and is more designed for freshwater as it came with a built in chamber for internal filter and heater. I have it on a sturdy wooden cabinet so I have room below for a 20g sump.

How would you advise I do this, with an attached weir? How then woudl I avouid tank drainage/flood? Or would a hang on sump be more practical?

Scott

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Marine Depot they have couple of choices, you will be surprised on how much weight that they will put on your tank.

OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks I will investigate, it may be that the tank is just more suited to canister filtration as I have it at the moment, so I will make sure when I eventually upgrade in a year or two I get one with a sump.

Scott

OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hang on sumps I have looked at don't seem that large, and I already have an external cartridge filter that contains a decent volume which effectively acts in the same way (I have biological media inside so I don't get the nitrogen imbalance issue known with cartridge filters).

I think it may be better to get an overflow box that draws up water as a siphon action. But how would you ensure the pump is operating at the correct speed to avoid the possibility of drainage in one area and flood in the other between sump and tank?

Or am I being thick? ;)

Scott

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hang on sumps I have looked at don't seem that large, and I already have an external cartridge filter that contains a decent volume which effectively acts in the same way (I have biological media inside so I don't get the nitrogen imbalance issue known with cartridge filters).

I think it may be better to get an overflow box that draws up water as a siphon action. But how would you ensure the pump is operating at the correct speed to avoid the possibility of drainage in one area and flood in the other between sump and tank?

Or am I being thick? ;)

Scott

HOB overflow boxes have one side with a weir that will ensure that the siphon only siphons off what overflows into the weir, self regulating the speed.

That being said if there is any issue with the siphon and you do not have systems in place to detect it your tank will end up on the floor.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend either a Life Reef overflow or Eshoop has one that is very similar. I would use a powerful DC return pump, that way you can dial in the speed of the pump.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back