Hanna 96713 Reading - Which is Accurate?

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,

I have a Hanna HI 96713 Low Range Po4 photometer, and unsure of which reading is correct. The included cuvette is marked at 10m/l, but is not accurate. I have tried testing both using the 10m/l level marked on the cuvette, and filling the cuvette with a digital pipette set to 10m/l. I get the following readings:

Using 10 m/l on cuvette: Po4 is 0.01
Using pipette: Po4 is 0.04

Any ideas on which reading to trust? Disappointed that Hanna provides an inaccurate measurement.

Any advice is appreciated!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Folks,

I have a Hanna HI 96713 Low Range Po4 photometer, and unsure of which reading is correct. The included cuvette is marked at 10m/l, but is not accurate. I have tried testing both using the 10m/l level marked on the cuvette, and filling the cuvette with a digital pipette set to 10m/l. I get the following readings:

Any ideas on which reading to trust? Disappointed that Hanna provides an inaccurate measurement.

Hopefully this helps. 1. Its a little unclear what does m/l mean? 2. Every measurement has an 'error' - so - how do you know that the digital pipette is not the inaccurate measurement? 3. If you look at the Hanna website, the accuracy is
Phosphate, LR Accuracy±0.04 mg/L ±4% of reading
So - I would suggest - a couple things. 1). Just follow the directions on the test kit you bought. Don't use digital pipettes or other ways to measure. 2). Given the accuracy of the test your using - I'm not sure there is a statistical difference between the measurements. 3) I'm also not sure there is a 'significant' difference between the .01 and .04 from your tanks perspective. But - I guess - I would trust the test that you did by following the instructions - as compared to the pipette. You could also do 3 measurements and average the results.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Hair Algae Wizard

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this helps. 1. Its a little unclear what does m/l mean? 2. Every measurement has an 'error' - so - how do you know that the digital pipette is not the inaccurate measurement? 3. If you look at the Hanna website, the accuracy is
Phosphate, LR Accuracy±0.04 mg/L ±4% of reading
So - I would suggest - a couple things. 1). Just follow the directions on the test kit you bought. Don't use digital pipettes or other ways to measure. 2). Given the accuracy of the test your using - I'm not sure there is a statistical difference between the measurements. 3) I'm also not sure there is a 'significant' difference between the .01 and .04 from your tanks perspective. But - I guess - I would trust the test that you did by following the instructions - as compared to the pipette. You could also do 3 measurements and average the results.

Hope this helps.
Thank you, and I appreciate the reply. Oh, and M/L was my error. It should be ml.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, and I appreciate the reply. Oh, and M/L was my error. It should be ml.
I kind of thought you meant ml. I use a syringe to fill my cuvettes - but I do not use the measurement on the syringe - I use the cuvette. The syringe is just for convenience:)

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks,

One more thing. The contents of the phosphate reagent packets vary in weight, so, the slight inaccuracy in the vial volume is probably unimportant. Tiny variation in measured values are noise. 0.01 is not different from 0.04 ppm. This is normal.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back