Hanna alk checker off by almost 2 dkh?

wanderer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using hanna alk checker. It’s been pretty consistent but recently I noticed the alk had increased more than expected. It was reading 10 yesterday. It was 10.5 five days prior. I rechecked using the diy test using 500 mL (drawn up with a 50 cc syringe 10x and then confirmed weight with a kitchen scale) and the diy test gave me 8.2

The alk reagent itself had an expiration date of 9/2023 though it was stored mostly in a cool dark place. I’m also at the last cc or 2 of the reagent so it’s possible the remainder is more concentrated

For another question. I have an apex and I disconnect the probe and attach it to a handheld pinpoint marine to check for the diy test (the two readings of tank water are identical). What’s the best way to use a checker? I could get another probe but I hate throwing them out every year. Is this my best option? Would litmus paper or a pH pen be good enough for the diy test ?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note: Hanna sells Standards. You can use these to check if your checker is out of spec. You might also try replacing the battery.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been using hanna alk checker. It’s been pretty consistent but recently I noticed the alk had increased more than expected. It was reading 10 yesterday. It was 10.5 five days prior. I rechecked using the diy test using 500 mL (drawn up with a 50 cc syringe 10x and then confirmed weight with a kitchen scale) and the diy test gave me 8.2

The alk reagent itself had an expiration date of 9/2023 though it was stored mostly in a cool dark place. I’m also at the last cc or 2 of the reagent so it’s possible the remainder is more concentrated

For another question. I have an apex and I disconnect the probe and attach it to a handheld pinpoint marine to check for the diy test (the two readings of tank water are identical). What’s the best way to use a checker? I could get another probe but I hate throwing them out every year. Is this my best option? Would litmus paper or a pH pen be good enough for the diy test ?
Hanna Alk reagent loses potency if not stored in the refrigerator once opened. I have recently switched to Salifert Kh test for alk and can repeat the test results consistently

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yesterday with my Hanna I was getting wild swings. Turned out the battery was low. I didn't know that about the fridge trick.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yesterday with my Hanna I was getting wild swings. Turned out the battery was low. I didn't know that about the fridge trick.
There is a thread about it in the chemistry section here. Happened to me (2dkh + off with Hanna), fortunately I just had liverock in the tank and some coralline growing, was just monitoring stability to see when to add corals.

OP
OP
W

wanderer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. Makes sense that the reagent has gone bad. I think I’ll stick with the DIY testing since it’s pretty easy to do and pretty reliable as long as one has good ways to accurately measure

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 174 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back