Hanna Alk checker trash?

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Hanna Alkalinty checker for over a year now. Both of my tanks have had rock solid stability at around 8.7. Today when I checked them, both showed nearly 1 full dkh higher than they normally are. I was wondering why on earth it would have jumped that much.
So before I did anything drastic, I checked it using my Salifert kit. Salifert showed both of them around 8.7 where they should be.

So what to do with the Hanna? Is it now garbage? I have always taken such good care of it and never dropped it. And yes, the batteries were changed about 2 months ago so I know it is not that.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Hanna Alkalinty checker for over a year now. Both of my tanks have had rock solid stability at around 8.7. Today when I checked them, both showed nearly 1 full dkh higher than they normally are. I was wondering why on earth it would have jumped that much.
So before I did anything drastic, I checked it using my Salifert kit. Salifert showed both of them around 8.7 where they should be.

So what to do with the Hanna? Is it now garbage? I have always taken such good care of it and never dropped it. And yes, the batteries were changed about 2 months ago so I know it is not that.
Could be expired reagent or test error. I’ve used one for years and the only time I’ve ever had jumps like that is when I’ve replaced old reagent with new. It’s a great piece of equipment so I wouldn’t give up on it yet!

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is also/always a 1DHK higher too. I am using the Red Sea Salt and I can use the lot # to find out what value of Ca, Mg, Dkh.... of my bucket of salt. I use the Hanna to measure the newly make saltwater and use that value as reference. I just keep my tank water the same value. I don't really care Hanna read it as 8, 9 or 10 lol

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is also/always a 1DHK higher too. I am using the Red Sea Salt and I can use the lot # to find out what value of Ca, Mg, Dkh.... of my bucket of salt. I use the Hanna to measure the newly make saltwater and use that value as reference. I just keep my tank water the same value. I don't really care Hanna read it as 8, 9 or 10 lol
To be fair, looking up the Red Sea lot number alk lvl then using that as evidence that the Hanna is off is a little unfair, that lot number is likely used for hundreds if not thousands of buckets so I’m sure any stated parameters that are related to a particular batch is only ever going to be an estimate.

Last edited:

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...my salt batches always tests different..always shake and mix wrll too. If it says 400-450 calcium...be ready for a 325/350 batch etc..it's smart to test your first w/c water so you know what to expect for that batch. That way you can add whatever you need each time

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is possibly the reagents. The bottle is fairly new. I will go ahead and purchase another bottle of reagent and hope that is what it is.

Keep it in the fridge? I have never considered doing that. My wife will be thrilled to have another fish related bottle in the fridge!
Is this something that Hanna recommends, or just something you do?

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...my salt batches always tests different..always shake and mix wrll too. If it says 400-450 calcium...be ready for a 325/350 batch etc..it's smart to test your first w/c water so you know what to expect for that batch. That way you can add whatever you need each time
I could see that being the case if the Salifert had measured the same as the Hanna... but it was testing where it normally is (when I used Hanna in the past).

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is possibly the reagents. The bottle is fairly new. I will go ahead and purchase another bottle of reagent and hope that is what it is.

Keep it in the fridge? I have never considered doing that. My wife will be thrilled to have another fish related bottle in the fridge!
Is this something that Hanna recommends, or just something you do?
There is a good thread on this on this forum, sorry can’t remember by who but he did tests., it works I do it too, Hanna don’t recommend it or at least say it’s not needed but it does seem to work.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the regent in the fridge and shake before use..your regent will remain good and not fluctuate

Edit...I guess hanna doesn't realize this fix for their regent "going bad"..because it's not on the directions.
that's what we have @Lasse for :)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed in that thread you mentioned you had stayed away from the Alk checker but were now tempted to get it... so, did you end up buying one? I would assume so.
Yes I did and I’m happy with the results I have been getting.

Just today I thought I got a duff reading, ran a Aquforest alk test to check and it turns out the Hanna was correct, my AFR dosing tube was blocked. So very happy with this checker.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trick is working when Hanna shows lower alk with time using the same reagent - at least for me. I have not been out for that Hanna suddenly show a false high value. Maybe that´s of another reason compared with my experiment. The fridge "fix" may not work in this case.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trick is working when Hanna shows lower alk with time using the same reagent - at least for me. I have not been out for that Hanna suddenly show a false high value. Maybe that´s of another reason compared with my experiment. The fridge "fix" may not work in this case.

Sincerely Lasse
The reagent in question was newly opened. I plan to throw it away. But the next one I purchase will be stored in the fridge

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back