Hanna Alkalinity Tester

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i have dosed my tank to bring up my Alk from 8 dkh to 8.6dkh. I like this range because all corals look their best to me. Now that i have accomplished that i will start dosing BRS 2 part because i also have my Calcium where i want it.

So i have been testing Alk everyday since i raised it to 8.6 to get a baseline of how much Alk my tank uses in 1 day but finding this hard to do and here is why.

Sunday- Raised Alk to 8.6. Monday Tested Alk-8.6 Tuesday Alk-8.7 Wednesday Alk 8.6 and Thursday Alk-8.7. With these readings it is virtually impossible to see what my consumption of ALK is.

When i test i use the same equipment for each test. Use a timer so i'm doing everything within the sametime. I clean everything good with RODI water when tests are complete. Not really sure how i'm going to dose without knowing what my tank uses.

I very much doubt one day miraculously their is 1 dkh more of Alk without dosing it.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have in your tank - how much coral, etc.? If you don't have much, the consumption may not be all that much. It may also be that all your stuff is still acclimating to the new level and so not consuming anything just yet, perhaps?

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have in your tank - how much coral, etc.? If you don't have much, the consumption may not be all that much. It may also be that all your stuff is still acclimating to the new level and so not consuming anything just yet, perhaps?

I have about 35 corals in a 120 gallon. Mix of zoas, softies, LPS and SPS. The only SPS i have is a Purple Monti Cap, Orange Setosa, Forest Fire Digita, Forest Fire Montipora, Jack o Lantern Lepto, Deep Space Psammocora and a Ponape Birdsnest

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah - so unlikely that there's not enough in there to consume any Alk! I'd guess that they are adjusting, but that's just a guess. Will follow along to see what others say.

Out of curiosity, how long did you spend ramping up the Alk?

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah - so unlikely that there's not enough in there to consume any Alk! I'd guess that they are adjusting, but that's just a guess. Will follow along to see what others say.

Out of curiosity, how long did you spend ramping up the Alk?

I went up about 1 dkh everyday until desired range.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went up about 1 dkh everyday until desired range.
Sorry; 1dKH per day - or 0.1dKH per day? From your OP, it sounded kind of like you went from 8dKH to 8.6dKH, but reading it again that may just mean that you have a 0.6dKH swing, perhaps? What was your dKH before you started?

(Sorry for asking all the questions; I'm starting to bring up my dKH as well and wondering what to expect as I do.)

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry; 1dKH per day - or 0.1dKH per day? From your OP, it sounded kind of like you went from 8dKH to 8.6dKH, but reading it again that may just mean that you have a 0.6dKH swing, perhaps? What was your dKH before you started?

(Sorry for asking all the questions; I'm starting to bring up my dKH as well and wondering what to expect as I do.)

My DkH was down to 8 dkh i spent 6 days raising it 1 dkh everyday to 8.6. Sorry lol i looked at my post when i said Sunday i raised my dkh to 8.6 i meant i was upping it 1 dkh everyday 6 days prior to that sunday.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back