OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it, but what refractometer are you using, and what calibration fluid?
I used an Amazon generic refractometer that has auto temp compensation. I used the Hanna salinity checker 35ppt calibration solution as I figured the salinity would work the same.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I calibrated by using RODI water instead and calibrated to 0ppt. Still reads high but barely. It’s now reading my tank water at 36.5ppt.

Think I’m going to just take this refractometer back or try some calibration fluid from my LFS today. Still going to get my water tested by then too. At least I don’t have to worry about 120% high salinity - I think I can rule that out.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the digital Hanna Salinity Checker that uses conductivity.

If the fluid is 1.026, shouldn’t it read the same for the refractometer?
Nope. Refraction and conductivitiy are different. One will not read the other correctly.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I calibrated by using RODI water instead and calibrated to 0ppt. Still reads high but barely. It’s now reading my tank water at 36.5ppt.

Think I’m going to just take this refractometer back or try some calibration fluid from my LFS today. Still going to get my water tested by then too. At least I don’t have to worry about 120% high salinity - I think I can rule that out.
Make a diy refractometer calibration fluid.
It is better to calibrate refractometer to fluid than rodi water regardless of the directions.

Look in here for it.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a plastic hydrometer and leave the fancy toys in the drawer.. it’s all I use and works fine! Instant ocean one from petco. Lol. It might be off a little but it’s consistently off so it works great! Haha

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an Amazon generic refractometer that has auto temp compensation. I used the Hanna salinity checker 35ppt calibration solution as I figured the salinity would work the same.

Depending on how Hanna made it, it would not. My DIY solutions, for example, are different for 35 ppt by refractometer and conductivity.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a plastic hydrometer and leave the fancy toys in the drawer.. it’s all I use and works fine! Instant ocean one from petco. Lol. It might be off a little but it’s consistently off so it works great! Haha

That instant ocean hydrometer is surprisingly very accurate if kept cleaned and dipped correctly.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That instant ocean hydrometer is surprisingly very accurate if kept cleaned and dipped correctly.
Yes it is.
Mine is 10 years old. I have dropped it, don't rinse it(I do dip a few times before taking a reading) and I check it against the refractometer every 6ish months and it still gives me a perfect reading.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is.
Mine is 10 years old. I have dropped it, don't rinse it(I do dip a few times before taking a reading) and I check it against the refractometer every 6ish months and it still gives me a perfect reading.
I have the IO Plastic box and it reads .003 below the ATC refractory I have. been looking to get a digital one which is between the Hanna and Milwaukee.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is.
Same haha! It’s even broke on the stand part so I gotta hold it level to get a reading :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calibration solution for the Hanna Salinity Tester cannot be used with refractometers. It should state that on the pouch.

Do we know that for sure?

Some, like the American Marine/Pinpoint can because they are a seawater mimic. Others may be NaCl or KCl, and cannot.

I've looked for such info from Hanna and could not find exactly what they make the solution from.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we know that for sure?

Some, like the American Marine/Pinpoint can because they are a seawater mimic. Others may be NaCl or KCl, and cannot.

I've looked for such info from Hanna and could not find exactly what they make the solution from.
Yes, I am a retailer for Hanna, and had this issue before. I will upload a picture of the pouch later. The one they have listed on their site is not the current labeling. To be clear, I am speaking of the HI70024P calibration solution for the HI98319 salinity tester.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am a retailer for Hanna, and had this issue before. I will upload a picture of the pouch later. The one they have listed on their site is not the current labeling. To be clear, I am speaking of the HI70024P solution for the HI98319 salinity tester.

Ok, thanks.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley , here is a photo of the current packaging.
IMG_20231013_170253~2.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity might be at 46ppt!

I used the refeactometer I just got to check against my Hanna which reads my tank at 34.5ppt. The refractometer read 42ppt out of the box.

I used 2 calibration pouches from Hanna that are supposed to be perfectly 35ppt.

Originally I tested the second calibration pouch with the refractometer and it read 30ppt.

I calibrated twice - both the Hanna checker and the refractometer.

Now my tank water reads 46ppt with the refractometer and 34.8ppt with the Hanna.

I don’t want to make drastic changes to my water in the meantime - what do you all recommend until I can get to check against someone else’s tank water and their testers?
Same problem for me.
Same for my LFS. Lost some corals first.
Now just sits in a box.

Refractometer continues best for me. Right every time.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the critters in the tank? If they look normal sit on your hands and do nothing today.

In the mean time get this:
1697074453922.jpeg

No calibrations required. Turn off the flow put in tank , read the value, done.

I got this after I had a salinity issue in my tank that was revealed by, of all things, a magnesium test. I got two different inaccurate calibration fluids for my refractometer and by the time I'd tested with five different types of salinity checkers through two different LFS, my salinity ended up being somewhere around 1.017.

I found this out with the TM hydrometer and now I use it to double check my refractometer. It's also deceptively huge. It can't free float in my 13 gallon tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back