Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2011-08-06_10-57-34_178.jpg

2011-08-06_10-56-12_0.jpg

I received my new checker a few days ago, and I wanted to share my initial experience and opinion.

First thing I noticed was there were more parts and pieces compared to the others that I have. (Alk,phos etc) But at the same time there twice as many reagent packs than what came with my phos checker, which is great.

The packaging is like all the other checkers, very minimal and tight fitting. It's hard to fit everything back in, but it can be done. I am okay with this, because I'm assuming that this is why they are affordable. No point in wasting money on the packaging.

I was surprised at the fact that on this test you have to fill the cuvette with RO/DI and then only add 0.1 ml of your tank water. So RO/DI will always need to be on hand for testing. The process is a little different compared to the other checkers, but is still super easy to understand. And the results are right there in digital display, which is awesome.

I tested my levels with a Salifert test first, and then the checker. With the salifert test I got a reading of 440 with the 0.12 left in the syringe.

I got a reading of 447 with the Hanna checker. And I got the results in about the same about of time. Which being that I've used the Salifert test a lot, and the checker only once. I think once I get used to it, I won't have to read the directions, and get a result even faster. I'm am all about convenience, but more about precise as possible with what we are offered in the hobby. And so far I am happy with it. I will continue to test and compare the results for a few weeks, and maybe try a different test kit as well.

So as of now, I think this is another great product from Hanna, and hopefully we will see a Mag Checker available soon as well. For the price, convenience, and accuracy, I highly suggest all of them.

toyencounters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review! My experience with Hanna has not been great as the results are very diffrent than any other test kits.

Who Dah?

Exoticfrags.us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised at the fact that on this test you have to fill the cuvette with RO/DI and then only add 0.1 ml of your tank water. So RO/DI will always need to be on hand for testing. The process is a little different compared to the other checkers, but is still super easy to understand. And the results are right there in digital display, which is awesome.

That is very interesting... Assuming it is 10mL RO/DI and 0.1mL tank water, they are in essence having you do a DF 100 as it is called in the chemistry industry. A Dilution Factor of 100. (This number will be a little off if it is 9.9mL RO/DI and 0.1mL of tank water vs. 10mL RO/DI vs. 0.1mL tank water, but still very close to DF100. And of course adjust the number accordingly if the 10mL RO/DI is the wrong number, I got this number based off my Hanna ALK Colormeter calling for 10mL.)

So a reading of 447 ppm is actually "4.47 ppm * DF100 = 447 ppm" as far as the instrument is concerned.

One's accuracy does go down a little with dilutions. I'm not complaining though, I've got one on order myself from one of R2R's sponsors and look forward to it arriving. :D And in the "real world" of chemistry (for lack of better term), dilutions are apart of everyday life.

I can't wait and hope they are working on a Mg colormeter. It'll be interesting to see if it has a dilution factor as well. In the chemistry world that I know (which is small), Ca and Mg (amungst a slew of other metals) are all typically tested on the same type of instrument (ICAP or ICPMS or the likes) which makes me think that perhaps it will. Can't wait to find out, come on Hanna!
:D

Disclaimer: I'm not a chemist, just work w/ 'em. Someone like Beakerbob could come in and cross my i's and dot my t's for me here.

Thanks for the review, Dowtish!

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume that the mag test will be very similar. Since every other test kit out there, no matter the brand, seems to be the same process, when it comes to mag and cal.

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremy is correct in his explanation of the DF or Dilution Factor.

The Hanna Calcium checker has an operational range of 200-600ppm and the tank water can normally range from 300-500. In order for the Hanna checker to work with the simplified LED spectrophotometer at its set wavelength, the tank water to be tested must be diluted to the checkers measurement range.

The addition of 0.1 mL of tank water to the 10 mL of RODI and Reagent A will give an approximate dilution factor of 1:100

Dilution Factor = sample/sample + RODI + Reagent A
Dilution Factor = sample/total
Dilution factor = 0.1 mL/10.1 mL

The checker reads out in ppm, so it is internally calculating the calcium concentration X 100 by multiplying the absorbance (or transmission) of light through the chemical reaction of calcium displacing zinc and forming a colored complex with the zincon indicator.

This reaction is well documented in laboratories for the measurement of calcium. One note of caution in comparing sample test results.....The accuracy of the Hanna Calcium checker is +/- 6% of the reading. Based on the stated accuracy, the reading of 447ppm will be in the range of 447ppm +/- 27ppm or 420ppm to 474ppm.

Quality control plays a large factor in the accuracy you will get using any test method. You should test a "blank" (or a known zero calcium sample), a standard (a sample with a known calcium concentration), and your tank sample. This will give you an idea of the accuracy of your testing technique and the instrument that you are using.

Once you are comfortable in using this test kit with the Hanna Checker, then it will be more accurate than trying to color compare the test sample with a color card to get a final calcium concentration. It will be more reproducible and consistent in the determination of calcium concentration in your tank water.

That is very interesting... Assuming it is 10mL RO/DI and 0.1mL tank water, they are in essence having you do a DF 100 as it is called in the chemistry industry. A Dilution Factor of 100. (This number will be a little off if it is 9.9mL RO/DI and 0.1mL of tank water vs. 10mL RO/DI vs. 0.1mL tank water, but still very close to DF100. And of course adjust the number accordingly if the 10mL RO/DI is the wrong number, I got this number based off my Hanna ALK Colormeter calling for 10mL.)

So a reading of 447 ppm is actually "4.47 ppm * DF100 = 447 ppm" as far as the instrument is concerned.

One's accuracy does go down a little with dilutions. I'm not complaining though, I've got one on order myself from one of R2R's sponsors and look forward to it arriving. :D And in the "real world" of chemistry (for lack of better term), dilutions are apart of everyday life.

I can't wait and hope they are working on a Mg colormeter. It'll be interesting to see if it has a dilution factor as well. In the chemistry world that I know (which is small), Ca and Mg (amungst a slew of other metals) are all typically tested on the same type of instrument (ICAP or ICPMS or the likes) which makes me think that perhaps it will. Can't wait to find out, come on Hanna!

Disclaimer: I'm not a chemist, just work w/ 'em. Someone like Beakerbob could come in and cross my i's and dot my t's for me here.

Thanks for the review, Dowtish!

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, thanks so much for the breakdown of what's really going on inside this little plastic thingie. ;)

Who Dah?

Exoticfrags.us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, BeakerBob, thanks! Is the same technique for Mg well documented for laboratories as well? I'm trying to predict how long it'll take Hanna to come out w/ the Mg to complete the Alk/Ca/Mg trio.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review! My experience with Hanna has not been great as the results are very diffrent than any other test kits.

Check your raw RO/DI water for calcium. If there is any calcium in it, it can greatly affect the results.

CJ

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I went to Jay's house and we tested the his water. He did it with the Salifert, and I used the Hanna. At the end point of his test it was at 430ish. And the Hanna checker read 427. So I am content with the results.

Although I do suggest doing the test EXACTLY as they say, I put the reagent in before the saltwater,(which is only 2 drops) on accident and got a reading of 535 on the first try. ooops :neutral:

OP
OP
D

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: Would distilled water also work ok instead of RO/DI water?

I honestly couldnt say. I would like to think so, but after testing recently I have lost faith in this checker. I tested 3 times in a row a couple days ago, and got 3 very different results.:eek:oh:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back