Hanna calcium is a nightmare

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How in the world people get accurate results with the calcium checker. My mag, and alk works beautifily. 1355 mag, and 8 all. But calcium is 600+ always. Tried 6 different samples with my rodi. I dont know if thats because i didnt use distilled. Does it make a difference. From the way they talk about it it seems even like 0.1 calcium from your rodi can mess witn the results

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use Hanna ca I back check the results with salifert. Too much room for error on Hanna ca test.
My issue with the salifret is the drop by drop thingy drives me insane

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use distilled water with Hanna and don't seem to have the issues people complain about. I don't know how accurate it is (close-ish to the ICPs I've done), but it's consistent for me.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use distilled water with Hanna and don't seem to have the issues people complain about. I don't know how accurate it is (close-ish to the ICPs I've done), but it's consistent for me.
I need to try distilled yeah

924er

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My issue with the salifret is the drop by drop thingy drives me insane

thats ok, do multiple tests back to back and youll see the salifert is very consistent. Youll get better at it the more you do it. Plus, These tests are designed for hobbyists and not meant to be super accurate but consistency is really all you need. My hanna ca hasnt been touched for a few years, its terrible and non consistent. I even use salifert for alk cuz its just so consistent everytime.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How in the world people get accurate results with the calcium checker. My mag, and alk works beautifily. 1355 mag, and 8 all. But calcium is 600+ always. Tried 6 different samples with my rodi. I dont know if thats because i didnt use distilled. Does it make a difference. From the way they talk about it it seems even like 0.1 calcium from your rodi can mess witn the results
The Hanna Ca checker requires the use of absolutely pure water to make the blank sample.

I've been using it for 5 years and it is accurate and consistent provided that you use a very precise pipette for the 0.1ml sample and pure distilled or DI water for the blank.

Lot's of folks find it too fussy because of that.

A good alternative is the Red Sea Calcium Pro.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, diluting with more than 0 TDS RODI will give erroneous results. Try testing freshly prepared saltwater to confirm that the test is giving incorrect results.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tiny 0.1 ml sample used by hanna calcium checker is problematic.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, diluting with more than 0 TDS RODI will give erroneous results. Try testing freshly prepared saltwater to confirm that the test is giving incorrect results.
Yeau my rodi is 0 tds but it does seems like even at 0.1 calcium slipping from the rod it can set the test off. Ima test distilled

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes definitely use distilled water I get very accurate results

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes definitely use distilled water I get very accurate results
Also just for the record for everyone reading this threads. Be careful on the distilled you buy too. Someone mentioned before that they can contain small amount of calcium that can set the test off so it depends on the brand you buy. I bought yesterday some hanna distilled the prices is ridiculous but i want to do it for the sake of testing accuracy.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just bite the bullet and spring for the gallon of hanna distilled and you will be set for life on distilled water for calcium tests. Get an amazon graduated pipette and keep it for the jug only.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just bite the bullet and spring for the gallon of hanna distilled and you will be set for life on distilled water for calcium tests. Get an amazon graduated pipette and keep it for the jug only.
Thats exactly what i did. I live next to hanna’s warehouse 15 min away got their distilled and it works

IMG_6351.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back