Hanna Checker accuracy

reefrf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've ran into a recent issue with my Hanna Alkalinity checker. So here's my story....
I own two Hanna checkers, one for Phosphates & the other for Alkalinity. I've trusted these checkers until recently I have my doubts. I've been using my Alkalinity checker for 10 months on my 250g mixed reek tank. It's been consistent, and always getting a reading of 8dkh - 9dkh range. I've always had a routine where I tested every 5 days. Most recently, I get that low light error. I change the battery & error goes away, I retest & find my alkalinity unusually low (7.2dkh). I assume it has something to do with that error. I do a second test but with Salifert & find my dkh at around 10dkh hmm...

I reach out for some help where I purchased & they referred me to Hanna in Rhode Island. All is good, the person I speak with was very helpful & professional. Hanna covers the checker under a 6 month warranty & replaces it with a brand new one. I receive the new checker today, brand new with all of the accessories. I recheck my Alkalinity & find my tank to be a 6.4dkh! I check again with a brand new bottle of reagent & it test nearly the same at 6.3dkh! I then test my Salifert & get a reading of 8.9dkh! what the heck! Obviously I'm concerned & not sure what to do, which do I assume is correct, Hanna or Salifert??? I drive to my LFS & have my water tested with another trusted test kit API & it measures approx the same at 9dkh. So I can only assume the Hanna checker is not accurate on both units. Has anyone else find this to be their experience?
Please let me know your thoughts. I plan on communicating this issue to Hanna again but find it really odd & surprising.

R

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Kadee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have solved this issue & it is not the fault of the Hanna Alkalinity checker.
Please tell me how you resolved this issue as I have just experienced the same issue with the exception of the light error. I ran out of reagent and tested with both my Salifert and API kits and got numbers much higher than my Hanna gave me from the day before. I have the calibration fluid and the checker calibrates against the fluid, but two other tests indicate much higher values. All test kits are well within their expiration dates. Please let me know what you discovered.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have solved this issue & it is not the fault of the Hanna Alkalinity checker.

Seriously after all that your not gonna share what it was ;Sour ? I had similar issue but now having the Hanna match my Redsea match by .1 DKH now. Have to remove the airbubbles, have to calibrate with only 1 hanna vial, and have to add exactly 10ML of the syringe!

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious how you solved this as well. I've been extremely disappointed with my Hanna alkalinity checker.

Kadee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up trying to get all samples to agree. I am beginning to believe that the reagent batch can also be a factor. The best that I am hoping for now is that my readings are consistent and my corals are happy more than the actual number coming from the checker.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 straight day of my Hanna and Red sea testing alk at the same exact spot Hanna is 8.2DKH and Redsea is 8.1 DKH. I got these reading because I am more careful about removing bubbles from the making sure the correct amount of tank water is in the vials.

Matthew Morrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I looked this up to do my own research and you seem to have a magic answer but won’t share it. It’s like you walk into a room and say “I can’t believe he cheated on her and could what he did after that” then walk away. It’s almost better to not say anything than to say something like that and walk away.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 times out of 10, it's user error. I went through the same thing, then bought the hanna checker reagent, and it was on. Watch the video on how to measure & follow it to a "t". I found that 10ml from a syringe was more than the line on the curvette... I spoke with hanna & they said use the line on the curvette... so I do... no issues.

Matthew Morrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 times out of 10, it's user error. I went through the same thing, then bought the hanna checker reagent, and it was on. Watch the video on how to measure & follow it to a "t". I found that 10ml from a syringe was more than the line on the curvette... I spoke with hanna & they said use the line on the curvette... so I do... no issues.
Thanks man, I am about to buy test kits and torn between Hanna, salifert, and Red Sea

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Salifert, hanna, red sea & API, hanna to me is the best. I have the ALK, CAL (never use it) & Phosphate.

I do use salifert for NO3.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me not knowing reagent is only good for one month after opening I mis dosed my tank for weeks (thinking alk low when was actually sky high) melted all my pulsing xenia, lost my favorite frogspawn I’d had for a year and 3 hammer corals. Another hard lesson learned in this hobby....ughh.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back