Hanna Copper & Cupramine Dose

Kyasukin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I’m new in reef tank and about to start my first QT and decided to use Hanna Copper with Cupramine. I tried to test new batch of ASW (with RODI water) it got me a reading of 0.25ppm Here what got me confused:

• Does that mean my ASW has has already contains 0.25ppm copper?
  • My understanding is that Cupramine copper level is at 0.5ppm to work at therapeutic level, do I dose Cupramine to another 0.25ppm to achieve it in my case?
  • Seachem Cupramine instruction is to dose another batch within 48 hours, does that mean I split the dose level (0.125ppm Day 1 + 0.125ppm Day 2) and keep aiming at 0.5ppm dose total?

Thank you

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ASW? If you haven’t added copper it shouldn’t test that high. Did you test again to verify? Reagents expired?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine tests zero until I add copper. Cupramine was one of the most difficult copper treatments I used. The levels drop and it had to be continually dosed to keep it at therapeutic levels. I switched to copper power and once your at therapeutic levels it stays there with no need to add more. Bring water change water up to levels before changing and your good to go.
If the levels drop below therapeutic levels it's pretty much a reset and you have to start over so copper power worked better for me. JMO

OP
OP
Kyasukin

Kyasukin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ASW? If you haven’t added copper it shouldn’t test that high. Did you test again to verify? Reagents expired?
i just brought the Hanna checker, and the reagents exp 2026, is it possible that it need calibration?

OP
OP
Kyasukin

Kyasukin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine tests zero until I add copper. Cupramine was one of the most difficult copper treatments I used. The levels drop and it had to be continually dosed to keep it at therapeutic levels. I switched to copper power and once your at therapeutic levels it stays there with no need to add more. Bring water change water up to levels before changing and your good to go.
If the levels drop below therapeutic levels it's pretty much a reset and you have to start over so copper power worked better for me. JMO
Thank you, i guess its not normall to have copper reading at new saltwater ya. Unfortunately its quite hard to get Copper Power here in Indonesia, will tryout to your method use CP, thank you.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is a calibration method, at least not one we can perform but I may be wrong. Do you have the low range or high range? High range tends to be preferred for QT setups. I have no experience with the low range tester

OP
OP
Kyasukin

Kyasukin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there is a calibration method, at least not one we can perform but I may be wrong. Do you have the low range or high range? High range tends to be preferred for QT setups. I have no experience with the low range tester
I have the High Range one, i'll try tried to test it with different batch of reagents first. thank you

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try testing just RODI water and see what you get. The precision of the checker is supposed to be +-.05PPM. So if you’re sure you have a zero level sample, you’ve tried 2 sets of non-expired reagents, and you still get a .25 reading, you should return it as defective.
Make sure the vial is clean (no smudges, fingerprints, water on outside of vial, etc.), batteries are good, and you do the whole test process in a well-lit consistent area.

2DBEF19F-0655-40A6-85D8-2D1B15E62496.jpeg

OP
OP
Kyasukin

Kyasukin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try testing just RODI water and see what you get. The precision of the checker is supposed to be +-.05PPM. So if you’re sure you have a zero level sample, you’ve tried 2 sets of non-expired reagents, and you still get a .25 reading, you should return it as defective.
Make sure the vial is clean (no smudges, fingerprints, water on outside of vial, etc.), batteries are good, and you do the whole test process in a well-lit consistent area.

2DBEF19F-0655-40A6-85D8-2D1B15E62496.jpeg
thank you

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back