Hanna Copper HR Test Kit ( not getting consistent results)

Airasys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I just purchased the Hanna copper HR kit for my 16 gal QT. I was really looking forward to the accuracy of this kit based on several reviews that I had read but unfortunately I am not having any consistent results with my unit. I have read the instructions several times in addition to watching several videos so I felt comfortable proceeding with testing my copper levels in my 16 gal QT tank. My first test came out to .20 which was lower than I expected based on Curpamine dosing instructions that I had applied. As a control I figured that I could use the spare Hanna test tube (not using any reagent just QT tank water with Curpamine) I proceeded to retake the test several times within a 6 minute time frame hoping to see consistent results. 2nd test using the control test tube (no reagent) at C1 to effectively zero the meter then at C2 switching back to the original test tube with the reagent resulted in a test reading of .26. A few minutes later I followed the same process I ended up with a test of .31? Needless to say I was a bit confused at the results I was seeing. I and a few other reefers suspect that the reagent might possibly be still reacting over time but keep in mind that these tests were done within a 6 minute time frame so I would not expect the results to be that different.

I then proceeded to clean out both of the test tubes with RODI to start the same testing process outlined above all over again with clean/dry test tubes along with a new reagent pack. First test resulted in a reading of only .16. Second reading resulted in .18. Third test reading of .16 and fourth test reading of .23. Again both of the test tubes where cleaned with each test and had no smudges.

I then proceeded with one final test with a single test tube (not using a control test tube sample to zero out test unit) along with a new reagent pack. Surprisingly this last test resulted in a value of only .13? Needless to say this is not what I was expecting considering all of the favorable reviews I had read. If I only consider the first test from each testing session I ended up with .20 then .16 and finally .13. I will be reaching out to Hanna to see if there is possibly a fault with the unit I just received but unfortunately for my fish currently in QT its going to be challenging to obtain the correct copper levels with these inconsistent results.

If anyone has any advice they could offer or feedback on my testing methods I would greatly appreciate it. Again, I was really looking forward to using a much more accurate testing solution for my QT copper levels.

Thanks for your time.

OP
OP
A

Airasys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just spoke with Hanna tech support and I am not really impressed with the answers. I am being told that these copper test units can have up to +/- .05 variance from what ever you are reading (in my case I my results are from .13 to .20) and then on top of that there is an additional variance of +/- 5 % of that reading. I am curious about other peoples experience with these Hanna test kits, are you experiencing similar results? To me it seems like it would difficult to hit the proper copper treatment target number of .50 if I am essentially getting a +/-25% variance in my current test numbers. Does anyone else have any feedback or tips to possibly minimize this variance range?

Thanks for the help.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a been using one for a while and currently have a fish in QT under going copper treatment. I'll admit I'm not a chemist so I do not understand how a tube with water from the tank with cupramine and no reagent can be used as a control. Don't bother trying to explain as it will be over my head. I do not even understand how you are attempting to "zero out the unit" using tank water with cupramine and no reagent. I will say I am using copper power rather than cupramine. I have used cupramine in the past and it required continuous testing at least everyday if not more and continued dosing to maintain therapeutic levels . With copper power once therapeutic levels are reached they pretty much stay there and do not require continuous dosing to maintain the levels. My test results last night were 2.49 (copper power recommends 2.5 so close enough for me). Todays test result was 2.4 which is acceptable to me. So it is working for me and I'm sorry I can't really help explain your results but maybe someone with more knowledge will come along I can learn from their explanation?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I just purchased the Hanna copper HR kit for my 16 gal QT. I was really looking forward to the accuracy of this kit based on several reviews that I had read but unfortunately I am not having any consistent results with my unit. I have read the instructions several times in addition to watching several videos so I felt comfortable proceeding with testing my copper levels in my 16 gal QT tank. My first test came out to .20 which was lower than I expected based on Curpamine dosing instructions that I had applied. As a control I figured that I could use the spare Hanna test tube (not using any reagent just QT tank water with Curpamine) I proceeded to retake the test several times within a 6 minute time frame hoping to see consistent results. 2nd test using the control test tube (no reagent) at C1 to effectively zero the meter then at C2 switching back to the original test tube with the reagent resulted in a test reading of .26. A few minutes later I followed the same process I ended up with a test of .31? Needless to say I was a bit confused at the results I was seeing. I and a few other reefers suspect that the reagent might possibly be still reacting over time but keep in mind that these tests were done within a 6 minute time frame so I would not expect the results to be that different.

I then proceeded to clean out both of the test tubes with RODI to start the same testing process outlined above all over again with clean/dry test tubes along with a new reagent pack. First test resulted in a reading of only .16. Second reading resulted in .18. Third test reading of .16 and fourth test reading of .23. Again both of the test tubes where cleaned with each test and had no smudges.

I then proceeded with one final test with a single test tube (not using a control test tube sample to zero out test unit) along with a new reagent pack. Surprisingly this last test resulted in a value of only .13? Needless to say this is not what I was expecting considering all of the favorable reviews I had read. If I only consider the first test from each testing session I ended up with .20 then .16 and finally .13. I will be reaching out to Hanna to see if there is possibly a fault with the unit I just received but unfortunately for my fish currently in QT its going to be challenging to obtain the correct copper levels with these inconsistent results.

If anyone has any advice they could offer or feedback on my testing methods I would greatly appreciate it. Again, I was really looking forward to using a much more accurate testing solution for my QT copper levels.

Thanks for your time.
The Hanna HR copper test is of no use under around 1.0 ppm.

There are many threads on this forum about it.

It works well for Copperpower at 2.5ppm
For Cupramine you should use the Seachem test.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back