Hanna copper tester results?

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently trying to raise my copper levels in my QT to therapeutic levels however today my test results were off. I tested the same sample after adding copper and my results were as follows.

Test 1 - 1.55 ppm
Test 2 - 1.73 ppm
Test 3 - 1.65 ppm

This was the same vial retested consecutively with these results? Is this fluctuation normal?
I’m using Copper Power in the tank. Is there a time frame when adding copper to when to test?

blitz49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently trying to raise my copper levels in my QT to therapeutic levels however today my test results were off. I tested the same sample after adding copper and my results were as follows.

Test 1 - 1.55 ppm
Test 2 - 1.73 ppm
Test 3 - 1.65 ppm

This was the same vial retested consecutively with these results? Is this fluctuation normal?
I’m using Copper Power in the tank. Is there a time frame when adding copper to when to test?

Retesting it shouldn't be off by that much. How soon are you testing after dosing and how are you placing the vial back into the tester? I usually have the 10ml word facing me when I put the vial in for the first and second test.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Retesting it shouldn't be off by that much. How soon are you testing after dosing and how are you placing the vial back into the tester? I usually have the 10ml word facing me when I put the vial in for the first and second test.
Usually 3-5 minutes after dosing. I never actually noticed which way I faced it. Just would wipe off my finger prints, make sure it’s dry and place it inside.

I do use the same RO water vile for the control test. Should I be placing new RO water in that every test?

blitz49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually 3-5 minutes after dosing. I never actually noticed which way I faced it. Just would wipe off my finger prints, make sure it’s dry and place it inside.

I do use the same RO water vile for the control test. Should I be placing new RO water in that every test?

I would wait at least 30 mins to test after dosing. You should try to put the vial or cuvette back to the same position after the first test. The reason is cause if there's a mark on the glass than the reading for the second test will be the same from first test.

Are you using two cuvette for testing? Cause you're suppose to fill the cuvette with salt water and do the first test, and then open the cuvette and put reageant in the same cuvette for the second test.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait at least 30 mins to test after dosing. You should try to put the vial or cuvette back to the same position after the first test. The reason is cause if there's a mark on the glass than the reading for the second test will be the same from first test.

Are you using two cuvette for testing? Cause you're suppose to fill the cuvette with salt water and do the first test, and then open the cuvette and put reageant in the same cuvette for the second test.
Wow I feel dumb. Although the instructions can be interpreted different ways. I was using just RODI thinking it was a baseline reading (test 1). Then filling the second tube with the tank water for the copper reading. The tank water already has copper in it. Am I supposed to use the same tank water for both tests? Just add the packet and place back for second reading?

blitz49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I feel dumb. Although the instructions can be interpreted different ways. I was using just RODI thinking it was a baseline reading (test 1). Then filling the second tube with the tank water for the copper reading. The tank water already has copper in it. Am I supposed to use the same tank water for both tests? Just add the packet and place back for second reading?

Yes, fill up cuvette with tank water, and do first test. Once first test is complete, put reagent into same cuvette and mix until reagent is dissolved and no air bubbles. Wipe and put cuvette back in the same way as first test to keep reading consistent for second test.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just watched a YouTube video and I’ve been doing it wrong! Ugh I hope the true reading is close to what I have since I’m at work and can’t check the tank. I have a 20 gallon long tank with about 17 gallons of water in it. Over the past few days I’ve dosed increments of 1.3 in am and 1.3 pm with an initial dose of 10 ml. In total I’ve dosed approximately 16.7 ml.

Last edited:

blitz49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper power says to use 2.5 ppm copper (people on this forum said 2 ppm is okay to use). One fluid oz for 20 gallons. 1 oz = 29.57 ml, so you are still under.

OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper power says to use 2.5 ppm copper (people on this forum said 2 ppm is okay to use). One fluid oz for 20 gallons. 1 oz = 29.57 ml, so you are still under.
Ok great.... I feel a little bit better. I’d hate to mess something up and be stuck at work for another 8 hours not being able to do anything about it. Appreciate the help! I Can’t believe I overcomplicated this simple test!

blitz49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great.... I feel a little bit better. I’d hate to mess something up and be stuck at work for another 8 hours not being able to do anything about it. Appreciate the help! I Can’t believe I overcomplicated this simple test!
Your welcome

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back