Hanna Instruments Alk Checker

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.k. so, I know towards the end of the reagent bottle, if proper techniques weren't followed the last 5-10 tests are going to be off by 2-3 DKH. My tests were coming in at 7.8 or so on a consistent basis. So, I figured my alk was between 9 and 10.8. I monitored my dosing and left it at that. I got new reagent yesterday.

The first test tested at 13.5. I figured that's why my GSP and toadstool weren't opening anymore. My other corals looked fine, SPS and LPS polyps opening. Algae was dieing off (accidently fed too much homemade food with Amino acids and selcon in it... Pretty sure that led to an algae bloom.)

Fish have started scratching. I haven't added anything to the tank other than water changes and home made food in the last 3 -4 months.

Temperature is higher now that it's warmer out. . (House is kept warmer) So, it's been hitting 79 normally 76-78. PH has been higher too at up 8.57. Magnesium is high at 1520. (which, this batch of IO salt is very high in Mg. I tested the water change water and it was over 1500.) Hopefully the higher Mg is helping kill off some of the algae or prevent it from growing in more.

Anyways, I'm looking to bring my alk back down to 8-9 dkh. Is this something if I decrease my doser from say 312 ml a day to 240ml a day (3 ml less per hour). Is that too drastic of a change?

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you need to do a 24 hour alkalinity monitoring. Just to see how she does in 1 day throughout the day. Have you considered always having another test kit around to back things up? The Salifert test kits are cheap and great for that.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the alk standard and retest with Hanna.
The standard is always close. I have never had that much of a swing.
My Hanna is always.6-1 dkh higher than salifert for some reason.
I test with elos, elos and Hanna are the same. It has been this way for over a year now.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reused old syringes, which was mistake number one. I wasn't careful with the syringe to make sure it didn't come into contact with the test water, etc. So, mistake number 2.. I suspect I made a few too many mistakes in the life of that bottle.

I usually have a back up bottle of Reagent - unopened. But, hadn't reordered, Mistake number 3. So, no one to blame but me, but I also didn't think it would be off by that much. I decreased dosing last night, I'll retest when the lights come on this morning, this afternoon, and this evening. One of the advantages of working from home. A 5 minute break to test things is easy and quick.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.k. so, I know towards the end of the reagent bottle, if proper techniques weren't followed the last 5-10 tests are going to be off by 2-3 DKH.
where do you get this info as “fact”?
I have never experienced a difference of that much. AT MOST I have a 0.3 dkh difference between the last tests and the first.
if you are off by a full 2-3dkh I would say thats more a bad batch or from something you did.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I couldn’t agree with that big of a swing but MAYBE 1 DKH. Having a back up kit you “trust” it’s numbers always helps. Doesn’t have to be the same number you get from the Hannah. Just has to be consistent.

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was from someone else contacting HANNA Instruments support on invalid alk values:

A link to the reef2reef thread on this is here.

"We do not offer the reagent in a larger size bottle because the reagent is very pH sensitive and can easily become contaminated. If any saltwater or outside contaminates gets insides the liquid it can alter the pH affecting the results of all tests.
Minimize the time the bottle is open
Do not use old syringes/tips with your alkalinity reagent, always use the new syringe/tip we provide with new alkalinity reagents.
Be careful dispensing the alkalinity reagent into the cuvette so saltwater do not touch the syringe tip
Do not use the alkalinity reagent syringe for anything other than reagent"

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lowered my dosing by 3ml an hour. From 13ml an hour to 10 ml an hour - 240 ml a day yesterday. It dropped by .1dkh by end of day yesterday. Slower than I'd like to see it, but, I like the slow, gradual approach. MY GSP were starting to poke out at the end of the day yesterday. My toadstool also and some opening. These must be very alk sensitive that .1 made a difference in them feeling better. Hoping to get under 13 dkh today.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the alk standard and retest with Hanna.
The standard is always close. I have never had that much of a swing.
My Hanna is always.6-1 dkh higher than salifert for some reason.
I test with elos, elos and Hanna are the same. It has been this way for over a year now.

Which alk standard?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was from someone else contacting HANNA Instruments support on invalid alk values:

A link to the reef2reef thread on this is here.

"We do not offer the reagent in a larger size bottle because the reagent is very pH sensitive and can easily become contaminated. If any saltwater or outside contaminates gets insides the liquid it can alter the pH affecting the results of all tests.
Minimize the time the bottle is open
Do not use old syringes/tips with your alkalinity reagent, always use the new syringe/tip we provide with new alkalinity reagents.
Be careful dispensing the alkalinity reagent into the cuvette so saltwater do not touch the syringe tip
Do not use the alkalinity reagent syringe for anything other than reagent"
This is great to know. I was trying to find the reason why Hanna doesn't sell larger bottles of Reageant.

Also explains why I sometimes get a whacky test. THANKS.

I actually made a Auto Alk Monitor from a Hanna Egg and I do Salifert Tests till I trust it.

These are the differences between Hanna and Salifert that I get.
The number is ( ) is the differences. AqMon Value is the Hanna,.

2020-04-28_AlkSalifertHannaDifferences.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 46 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 54 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.5%
Back