Hanna Low Range Nitrate Checker Issue - Is it Me?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I just got my Hanna Nitrate Low Range (H1781) checker today and have yet to be able to produce a result from it. I think im following the directions pretty closely, but given the added complexity over the other Hanna checkers i wont rule out operator error.o_O

First attempt - After adding sample, reagent A, and B, then mixing for 1 min and filtering i got a L.Lo (Light Low: There is not enough light to perform a measurement. Please check the preparation of the zero cuvette). I tried several times with the same sample, all producing the same error. I think i may have pushed through the filter too fast? So i repeated.

2nd Attempt - Same as the first but this time very very slowly forcing the sample through the filter. This time it accepted the 'zero' sample and was waiting for C2. I added reagent C and shook vigorously for 2min, placed cuvette in, held down the button to start the 8 min countdown and eventually got a Inu error (Inverted Cuvettes: The sample and the zero cuvettes are inverted. Swap the cuvettes and repeat the measurement.) No idea what that means since you wouldn't have 2 cuvettes in play at the same time, at least as i understand it.

3rd Attempt - Re-read instructions again, followed instructions step by step, results same as the 2nd attempt.

Anyone else run into similar issues and have a fix? Did i get a defective unit?

Thanks for the help!!!!

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I just got my Hanna Nitrate Low Range (H1781) checker today and have yet to be able to produce a result from it. I think im following the directions pretty closely, but given the added complexity over the other Hanna checkers i wont rule out operator error.o_O

First attempt - After adding sample, reagent A, and B, then mixing for 1 min and filtering i got a L.Lo (Light Low: There is not enough light to perform a measurement. Please check the preparation of the zero cuvette). I tried several times with the same sample, all producing the same error. I think i may have pushed through the filter too fast? So i repeated.

2nd Attempt - Same as the first but this time very very slowly forcing the sample through the filter. This time it accepted the 'zero' sample and was waiting for C2. I added reagent C and shook vigorously for 2min, placed cuvette in, held down the button to start the 8 min countdown and eventually got a Inu error (Inverted Cuvettes: The sample and the zero cuvettes are inverted. Swap the cuvettes and repeat the measurement.) No idea what that means since you wouldn't have 2 cuvettes in play at the same time, at least as i understand it.

3rd Attempt - Re-read instructions again, followed instructions step by step, results same as the 2nd attempt.

Anyone else run into similar issues and have a fix? Did i get a defective unit?

Thanks for the help!!!!
please email [email protected] and copy this message in the email. Might be a defective unit but our technical support department will better diagnose the problem. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for being a valued Hanna customer!

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please email [email protected] and copy this message in the email. Might be a defective unit but our technical support department will better diagnose the problem. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for being a valued Hanna customer!
Thanks for the quick response, sending the email now!

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up running a few more tests with some back and forth with tech support and it sounds like its the filter. Hanna said they'd be sending me a new filter.

I ended up breaking down my filter assembly and cleaning it which i think ultimately lead to a test result!

Here is pretty much what my first 4 attempts looked like (after filtration-for the C1 reading)
IMG-1001.jpg

After adding reagent C and waiting 8 mins - mystery blobs circulating in the tube, cool!
IMG-1004.jpg

After cleaning the filter housing and putting back together, here is the result - pretty clear now-and it ultimately produced a result!
IMG-1008.jpg

Here is a picture of the filter housing broken down
IMG-1010.jpg

I believe the plastic plate which sits in the outlet half of the housing (the one that the filter pad rests on) should have the ridges towards the filter pad, like this - i asked Hanna tech support to confirm;
IMG-1011.jpg

Sharing to hopefully help some of you other folks having the same issue, good luck! IMG-1008.jpg

BReefer13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing the YouTube vids on this one I'm out. That's way too complicated.
Its really not that complicated once you've performed it two or three times, it becomes natural, its just time consuming. Overall, is a great test to start first, so you complete any other tests while this one is running...

BReefer13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up running a few more tests with some back and forth with tech support and it sounds like its the filter. Hanna said they'd be sending me a new filter.

I ended up breaking down my filter assembly and cleaning it which i think ultimately lead to a test result!

Here is pretty much what my first 4 attempts looked like (after filtration-for the C1 reading)
IMG-1001.jpg

After adding reagent C and waiting 8 mins - mystery blobs circulating in the tube, cool!
IMG-1004.jpg

After cleaning the filter housing and putting back together, here is the result - pretty clear now-and it ultimately produced a result!
IMG-1008.jpg

IMG-1010.jpg

I believe the plastic plate which sits in the outlet half of the housing (the one that the filter pad rests on) should have the ridges towards the filter pad, like this - i asked Hanna tech support to confirm;
IMG-1011.jpg

Sharing to hopefully help some of you other folks having the same issue, good luck! IMG-1008.jpg
I think I might have the same issue then, I also get the mysterious black blobs floating lol...

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really not that complicated once you've performed it two or three times, it becomes natural, its just time consuming. Overall, is a great test to start first, so you complete any other tests while this one is running...

I agree - first time or two was really slow going, after that not bad, but it is a little time consuming. For me though, worth it. I struggled interpreting color, so the bit of extra time to get a number on a display is worth it.

BReefer13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG-1001.jpg

IMG-1004.jpg

IMG-1008.jpg

IMG-1010.jpg

IMG-1011.jpg

Sooooooooo.... After reading your post I went on a mission to get my Hanna No3 Checker to work! LOL

I also opened my filter, but I noticed its different then yours. Mine has a plastic plate on both sides, TOP and BOTTOM, AND... the ridges are towards the filter pad! Strange right? Maybe yours is indeed defective.

So I cleaned the filter and assembled it back, this time, when performing the test, I also tightened the filter a little more.

When the 8 minute counter ended, I got my reading, and guess what? No black blobs in the vial, lol.
Just for the record, sadly, my no3 is 0.17ppm T.T.

I hope this helps someone else like your post helped me, thanks for the share!

OP
OP
Brewtoszek

Brewtoszek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooooooo.... After reading your post I went on a mission to get my Hanna No3 Checker to work! LOL

I also opened my filter, but I noticed its different then yours. Mine has a plastic plate on both sides, TOP and BOTTOM, AND... the ridges are towards the filter pad! Strange right? Maybe yours is indeed defective.

So I cleaned the filter and assembled it back, this time, when performing the test, I also tightened the filter a little more.

When the 8 minute counter ended, I got my reading, and guess what? No black blobs in the vial, lol.
Just for the record, sadly, my no3 is 0.17ppm T.T.

I hope this helps someone else like your post helped me, thanks for the share!

Awesome, glad you were able to produce a result! If it’s any consolation mine was even worse...0.00! On to addressing that haha.

Could you share a picture of your filter housing, interesting that mine is different, curious if there are any other differences.

BReefer13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, glad you were able to produce a result! If it’s any consolation mine was even worse...0.00! On to addressing that haha.

Could you share a picture of your filter housing, interesting that mine is different, curious if there are any other differences.
Sure, please see below, like I said, mine has two plastic plates, their ridges face the filter pad on both top and bottom sides:

1602250418427.png

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine definitely came with the discs the wrong way... ridges away from the filter paper, smooths sides facing filter. My first go definitely didn’t filter the zinc correctly and it was really cloudy. After reading this thread I tried inverting the discs and it worked like a charm; crystal clear.

As a test I tried putting them back smooth side to filter, and even tightening the assembly really well, the zinc still made it past the filter.

@Hanna Instruments I think maybe some of the kits are going out with the discs inverted. There’s nothing in the manual regarding the orientation so you might want to add a note about it.

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not find it in the Manual nor FAQ PDF document. Does the HANNA HI781-require a new filter after every use? Thanks in advance.

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to put in a new thin paper filter thing each time. I also messed this up and forgot to clean the cuvette... now the cuvette has a permanent gray/black goo that will never come off LOL...
I just changed it to NYOS nitrate kit Bc it seems like mine is always slightly above 5... and I don’t always have artificial saltwater on hand to dilute it..

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You have to put in a new thin paper filter thing each time. I also messed this up and forgot to clean the cuvette... now the cuvette has a permanent gray/black goo that will never come off LOL...
I just changed it to NYOS nitrate kit Bc it seems like mine is always slightly above 5... and I don’t always have artificial saltwater on hand to dilute it..
I was using the nyos for a while, hannah one really isn't to bad. I guess it takes some time but you shouldn't need to test nitrate that much so its worth it in my eyes. Just cleaning it sucks that's about it.

Havnt had a single issue with the test actually. Works great for me.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a once and done fix or do you have to do this for every test?

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the nyos for a while, hannah one really isn't to bad. I guess it takes some time but you shouldn't need to test nitrate that much so its worth it in my eyes. Just cleaning it sucks that's about it.

Havnt had a single issue with the test actually. Works great for me.
Haha, I think I just got spoiled from all the other Hanna tests. I remember opening the box.. and going... nope, need coffee first.

And then after the 1st test, which I failed because I didn’t put on the filter paper on correctly, the 2nd time I got over 5+ and didn’t want to attempt a 3rd of diluting it.
But I do agree if you have the patience/time then Hanna is the most accurate. I’m just super impatient lol

Sharebear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a once and done fix or do you have to do this for every test?
Not sure if you are talking about putting on the filter or not but the paper filter needs to be replaced each time, so in a way you would have to unscrew the discs and clean then assemble it correctly again anyways :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back