Hanna magnesium checker psa

WhitePanther93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you purchased one of Hanna’s new magnesium checkers online, check your email.

I just received an email from them about a defect in the reagents.
The email reads :

Dear Valued Customer,

First and foremost, we are sorry. We know that you want answers!

Some of our customers reported issues when using our Marine Magnesium Checker® (HI783). We at Hanna, took a deep dive into this problem. We gathered customer feedback and performed extensive testing in our laboratory.

After investigating, we determined that our reagents used in the Marine Magnesium Checker® test were the root cause of this issue. We discovered that one of the chemical raw materials in the reagents has an unexpected degradation over time. This caused customers to experience high readings.

The good news is we have a solution! Please click below and complete this form to get your new reagents.

(here’s the link)
The good news is we have a solution! Please click below and complete this form to get your new reagents.

This is the link

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from Hanna Instruments,

I am on the aquarium team, here to address the Magnesium Checker issue.

I am posting this same message on various threads regarding the Magnesium Checker so that as many people as possible get the information.

First, here is an FAQ with answers:

1) What happened?
As many of you know, Hanna Instruments prides itself in accuracy. We do extensive R&D before releasing products – what happened with the Magnesium Checker was a unique combination of unexpected factors. Our manufacturing facility is in Romania, and shipments from Eastern Europe were delayed in the Spring due to events in that area. With this, the initial batch of Magnesium products were in cargo storage for longer than anticipated. While the cargo containers sat for extended periods in the Spring, the temperature in the containers increased. This resulted in longer than usual exposure to higher than usual temperatures, which in turn caused one of the reagents to expire early. The products passed R&D inspection on site, and we’ve never had them degrade in transit before, which is why we were surprised about the issue at first. And why we are grateful that users like yourselves reported it!

2) What did Hanna do to fix the products?
The issue was one reagent expiring early during extended high-temperature exposure in the cargo containers. To fix this, we were able to greatly improve the temperature stability of this reagent by reformulating it from a liquid to a powder. This means that Reagent B is now a powder for this product. Our other Checkers have a timer built in for the dissolution of the powder reagent, so we added that to the new Magnesium Checkers too. That is the only difference in devices, but because of that, we are sending everyone who purchased the initial version a new Checker with the timer built in!

3) Why has it taken so long?
Resolving this issue took several steps. First we had to reformulate Reagent B into a powder. Then we had to add the timer into the production process for the Checkers. Once those updates were made, we had to repackage all the previously produced items with the updated ones. And of course, we had to figure out the logistics of replacing these items both for customers such as yourselves, and bulk purchasers like LFSs and major websites. We also found new transport options to avoid extended international shipping delays in the future.

4) How is Hanna going to make this right for the people who already purchased?
We will send everyone who fills out this form: HI783 Marine Checker Reagent Issue Form free replacements for whatever Magnesium items (Checker and/or Extra Reagent Packages) were purchased. Please fill out all fields!

5) How do I know if I am in queue for the replacements after submitting the above form?
I receive all the form submissions. My apologies that there is not a confirmation, but once you hit submit I do receive it. We are on track to have all current form submissions fulfilled by the end of October, and new submissions as soon as possible thereafter.

Please see our official customer letter below for more details:

1664901872866.png

These Magnesium items will be available again from your LFS and online sources soon.
Thank you for your patience as we have resolved this issue!

All the Best,
Hanna Instruments

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back