Hanna Nitrate Checker 0 ppm

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to pick your brains! In the last few weeks Salifert has been saying my N is about 2.5 ppm (used to be 5ppm). I decided to try the Hanna Nitrate checker as I am a big fan of their products and I don't mind spending the extra time to get a digital read out that is more accurate (I never trust my eyes on the colour based tests!). Yesterday, I tried the dilution approach first and got a reading of 0.17 ppm. Today, I used the normal approach and got 0.00 ppm! Barring human error (I will test again later in the week), this result really surprises me. My tank is 80L (20 gallon), I do not have a skimmer or a sump (it is run by a canister), I used dry rock, and it's only 5 months old. I am growing softies, LPS, easy SPS and even have a couple of Acro frags that are growing better than I expected for a young set up (I didn't intend to try Acro so soon but my buddy had a couple of frags going spare). Coraline also started growing recently. Fish wise, I have a pair of clowns, a gramma, a few different gobies, a cardinal and a little leopard wrasse, and lots of inverts. I guess I am curious to hear other people's experience with this checker vs other kits? I feel like I should trust the £70 photometer with lab grade reagents more than the £10 hobby test kit, but as it's a new product I am not sure.

IMG_3178.JPG IMG_3173.JPG

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s very possible to have nitrate of 0ppm but I would trust Salifert ;)

OP
OP
chris_pull

chris_pull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s very possible to have nitrate of 0ppm but I would trust Salifert ;)

The range of error is ± 0.25 ppm, and the dilution version said 0.17, so I doubt it's 0, but it is very low.

I guess I could do an ICP test to see which one is more accurate!

Back