Hanna nitrate checker!

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Whoa. That’s a lot of steps. Thanks for posting. I was going to order one but I really don’t think I’d go through those steps too often. I also run an lps tank so not like I really need pinpoint accuracy.

cant wait to hear your review though!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it seems like you need to add three reagents in to a mixing vial and then transfer to the test vial and a dilution process for anything higher than 5.0 ppm. Is it more work than the rest of the Hanna checkers - yes, but I'm really looking forward to being able to test nitrates this way!

Pny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nitrate Checker (HI781) is on order and expecting it within the next couple of weeks. In the mean time I found a copy of the instructions online and, wow, it's a somewhat complicated process - even more so than the Calcium checker.
HANNA NITRATE.jpeg

Do you have a link to the instructions? I would be happy to see the instructions in a more readable resolution...

So it seems like you need to add three reagents in to a mixing vial and then transfer to the test vial and a dilution process for anything higher than 5.0 ppm. Is it more work than the rest of the Hanna checkers - yes, but I'm really looking forward to being able to test nitrates this way!

Yes, 2 reagents, followed by a filtration step and a third reagent, and lots of shaking, (1 min + 2 min)... Maybe we should call this the "Nitrate shaker"??? :)

I can not see the manual states anything about dilution or higher than 5 ppm measurement, But I guess its possible.

Last edited:

thermoJoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IST781_05_20.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 227
Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern is that I am just buying this to have the complete Hanna lineup more than out of necessity or functionality. I want one but I am worried that I just wont use it all that often due to the number of steps and the 5ppm limit. I was going to pull the trigger right away but the number of Steps is a double whammy, so I think I will hold off for now.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dam 0-5ppm.... bummmmmer
I was wondering if you could not just mix up some SW and dilute the tank water sample 10-1 and get a 0-50ppm reading. I cannot see why it would not work. Although it's another step in an already long process and the accuracy level drops ten fold.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Nitrate Checker (HI781) is on order and expecting it within the next couple of weeks. In the mean time I found a copy of the instructions online and, wow, it's a somewhat complicated process - even more so than the Calcium checker.
HANNA NITRATE.jpeg
not sure I'll have time to do all of these steps after covid lockdowns are over lmoa

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it available yet? Hanna website says no but on saltwater aquarium.com website it's already sold out and I don't believe that is a "pre order".

Probably a dumb question but what exactly is "low range" considered?

Mike Kearns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HANNA NITRATE.jpeg
Wow thanks for posting. Cancelled my preorder.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it had a range of like 0-100ppm ( I run high ppm on pred tank) I would get it and do the steps. But all those steps for seeminling useless data, who cares if your NO3 is 2 or 4? Same thing.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it had a range of like 0-100ppm ( I run high ppm on pred tank) I would get it and do the steps. But all those steps for seeminling useless data, who cares if your NO3 is 2 or 4? Same thing.
Im actually wondering how useful this is to even the ULNS guys here. I've run my nitrates that low a few times but it never mattered if I was that precise down there. Can anyone chime in?

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually wondering how useful this is to even the ULNS guys here. I've run my nitrates that low a few times but it never mattered if I was that precise down there. Can anyone chime in?

In my case, a few years ago even with salifert I couldn't ready any nitrates, so back then, this test kit would be useful to me.

Richard baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine today , it is really no where near as bad as people are making it out to be . I got it started and when I got to the 8 minute count down I tested my other parameters by the time I got done my reading was on the screen . It stays on the screen for ten minutes it don’t disappear like the phosphate checker after a few seconds . So I would 100% recommend for Any reefer .

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back