Hanna Nitrate HR test kit

just_use_soap

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2025
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Location
Northern Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Coralife Biocube 32 gal that’s been set up for over a year. Just switched to a Hanna test kit, it’s showing my nitrates being really high (35 ppm). I got my water tested at my lfs and their Red Sea test kit came back with 0-10 ppm. Is something wrong with how I’m using the test kit? I followed the instructions to the letter, and I did 10% water change just in case there was something off.
 
Welcome to the test kit conundrum.

They are probably not both right but which one is it?
 
Maybe neither. lol

I’d trust the HR in my hands over someone else using a different kit. You could also try it on some new salt water to see that it reads low there.
 
I get 30-35 with my Hanna HR and 0 with api. I was getting some really inconsistent results with Hanna checker but I have that sorted out I believe. I’m still going with the Hanna checker for now
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new