Hanna Nitrite Tester Question

ryreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! So I’m new currently cycling a tank and just got the Hanna Nitrite ULR colorimeter (ppb) and my reading gave me 32 ppb and then I was told to convert it to ppm by dividing by 1000, giving me 0.032. I’m very new to this and not sure if this is a good number or if this mean my tank needs to cycle for much longer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we need these factors to conclude the cycle status:

-how you arranged the cycle. bottle bac, or live rock used, or all dry rock?

-how many days has the tank been running? post a tank picture

fully cycled tanks run a hundred times more nitrite than you're showing, but that test above does not give one helpful detail about your cycle as nitrite alone isn't what we use to determine reef tank cycle readiness. the top two factors above regarding cycle type and # of days running will determine your cycle end date, we already know how long each mode of cycling takes down to the exact start date available (which is why when you walk into any reef tank convention, 200 fully running reef tanks were able to all be ready by the start date)

the nitrite kit you bought will be nearly totally useless in reefing. you'd have been better buying the nitrate version not for cycling but for reefing in general.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back