Hanna or eXact iDip

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot stand using any sort of color indicator to test my water and when I build my next tank, I want things to be as easy to read and painless as possible. I don't mind the initial upfront cost of either test but I was hoping people would be able to weigh in on their experience with either checkers and their thoughts on them.

Im considering buying either:

or

OP
OP
Anthrax15

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely going with Hannah as its tried and true. Im going to wait until more people use the iDip.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know eh. I can't believe it in 2020 we still don't have digital tester that very reliable. Hanna is popular only for some of them and not all of them. Deep in my heart I really hope that iDip is the one, but it is not in reality. I like that it is only one device for everything and so easy to use. Maybe they will get better in 50 years from now lol

OP
OP
Anthrax15

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where I am hesitant with the iDip. Not many devices can do everything well. Which is why Id rather go with the Hannah kit that each component only does one thing and one thing well.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's where I am hesitant with the iDip. Not many devices can do everything well. Which is why Id rather go with the Hannah kit that each component only does one thing and one thing well.

But Hanna only does well on Alk and Phosphate I read

OP
OP
Anthrax15

Anthrax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But Hanna only does well on Alk and Phosphate I read

They also do Calcium. Im going to purchase this kit here:

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the idip and it was very touchy, if you did not do it exactly, you will let varying results. you never really know if the chamber has the correct amount of sample water in because you dip it in your tank and fill the chamber up, but it can't be too full. Also you need to purchase the tests through the app To gain access to the test. I use the hanna checker and the steps are very simple and the numbers are consistent, i use the Hanna for alk, Ca, and Phos.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the idip and it was very touchy, if you did not do it exactly, you will let varying results. you never really know if the chamber has the correct amount of sample water in because you dip it in your tank and fill the chamber up, but it can't be too full. Also you need to purchase the tests through the app To gain access to the test. I use the hanna checker and the steps are very simple and the numbers are consistent, i use the Hanna for alk, Ca, and Phos.
Hi @Timrpn ! First and foremost, I thank you and all the health care workers and front liners for your dedication and hard work during this pandemic! You guys are awesome! :)

I had iDip 4 years ago and sold it. I didn't get consistent result too. Their president of marketing and sales, George Bailey, was in close email communication with me tried to find out the issue. They sent me new agents and still didn't solve the issue. He was nice and patient, but by the time I had to close down my tank he never solved the issue. So I sold the idip. Now in 2020, I am really hoping in my heart that iDip works. I really like their platform and ease of use. One device for all and you can record the results on your device and don't need to worry if the vial is clean and has no fingerprint just like with Hanna. I contacted @eXact iDip® on this forum, and they stopped responding. I guess they have no improvements since then and still have issues. If they just works, I am sure many will switch to them considering we spend tons of money already on other reefing gears.

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Timrpn ! First and foremost, I thank you and all the health care workers and front liners for your dedication and hard work during this pandemic! You guys are awesome! :)

I had iDip 4 years ago and sold it. I didn't get consistent result too. Their president of marketing and sales, George Bailey, was in close email communication with me tried to find out the issue. They sent me new agents and still didn't solve the issue. He was nice and patient, but by the time I had to close down my tank he never solved the issue. So I sold the idip. Now in 2020, I am really hoping in my heart that iDip works. I really like their platform and ease of use. One device for all and you can record the results on your device and don't need to worry if the vial is clean and has no fingerprint just like with Hanna. I contacted @eXact iDip® on this forum, and they stopped responding. I guess they have no improvements since then and still have issues. If they just works, I am sure many will switch to them considering we spend tons of money already on other reefing gears.

thank you for your kind words.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience was that idip was not designed for our hobby. Total waste of money. Go with Hannah.

Which Hanna that is accurate? Is it true only phosphate and alk?

I’m cycling my tank and my ammonia has been showing 0.5 almost everyday. Now I’m on day 11

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hanna Alk, Ca, and ULR Phosphorus checkers. The Hanna ammonia checker is for freshwater only.

Saltwater ammonia tests suck and are notoriously inaccurate. I typically use Red Sea for tank cycling ammonia tests. I use Salifert for nitrite.

The last 3-4 tanks that I have cycled have been bare bottom and took 2-3 weeks to consume the first 2 ppm of ammonia and 6-8 weeks total. One thing to help is to add some phosphate. Lack of phosphate can stall a cycle. Especially in tanks with little rock or substrate and new saltwater. The bacteria you are trying to establish require some phosphate. Be patient.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Hanna Alk, Ca, and ULR Phosphorus checkers. The Hanna ammonia checker is for freshwater only.

Saltwater ammonia tests suck and are notoriously inaccurate. I typically use Red Sea for tank cycling ammonia tests. I use Salifert for nitrite.

The last 3-4 tanks that I have cycled have been bare bottom and took 2-3 weeks to consume the first 2 ppm of ammonia and 6-8 weeks total. One thing to help is to add some phosphate. Lack of phosphate can stall a cycle. Especially in tanks with little rock or substrate and new saltwater. The bacteria you are trying to establish require some phosphate. Be patient.

I don’t mind to wait longer but in the mean time what should I do. Just keep adding ammonia every 2 days and test? No need to do water change or anything else until it is cycled? Can I add more bacteria such as brightwell microbacter xlm?

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add ammonia until it goes to zero. If you have been adding 2 ppm every other day, you may have very high nitrites. High nitrites will also inhibit the growth of the ammonia processing bacteria. Nitrites are converted by different bacteria that multiply at a slower rate. In order to cycle the fastest, you should wait until both ammonia and nitrite go to zero (or less than 0.2). If your nitrites are above 5 ppm do a partial water change to bring it back down. Avoid doing large water change because if you dry the surface of the bacteria it will die.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add ammonia until it goes to zero. If you have been adding 2 ppm every other day, you may have very high nitrites. High nitrites will also inhibit the growth of the ammonia processing bacteria. Nitrites are converted by different bacteria that multiply at a slower rate. In order to cycle the fastest, you should wait until both ammonia and nitrite go to zero (or less than 0.2). If your nitrites are above 5 ppm do a partial water change to bring it back down. Avoid doing large water change because if you dry the surface of the bacteria it will die.
What can you tell from the below data?

Day 1
Dose 60 drops of ammonia

Day 2
Ammonia <0.15
Nitrate 25

Day 3
Ammonia <0.15
Nitrate 2.5
Then after added more ammonia drops

Day 4
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2.5

Day 5
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2

Day 6
Added more ammonia
15 minutes later ammonia test shows 0.5

Day 7
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 5

Day 8
Didn’t test. No ammonia added

Day 9
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 25

Day 10
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 25
Added 65 drops of ammonia after the test

Day 11
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 50

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back