hanna phosphate using magnetic stir question

JS_racer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate Hanna with magnetic stir question... Does anyone use an magnetic stir? Tried to, did the sample, then plopped the pill in by hand, removed it with a stainless rod, and it pegged the meter, did it using the shake method, read 0.04....thoughts?? Could it have been my hands handling the pill during the test?? Could the pill contribute to the phosphate reading?? Side question, I have a few boxes of new reagent for the tester, and one old box is expired, should I toss it, or is it still OK? (both tests in this example were new reagent.) not my exact stir, but similar www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-stir-magnetic-stirrer-for-test-kits-autoaqua.html

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure in this context what “pegged” means, you would need to run the test a few times to judge, the accuracy of hanna is .02, add in user error you would need to run it a few times.

Not sure using a stirrer would be easier or give more accurate results tho.

And same for judging if the old test kits are worth using, run an old and new side by side.

Salty Irishman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Milwalkee MI 412 and it too says shake gently. Which is super annoying as you'll be at it for some 5 minutes solid until all is dissolved. Worst part of the test and was going to order a stirrer however, am now not so sure after reading this post.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On phos Hanna says to shake gently. They don't say gently on any other test that I have so maybe the stir is just over doing it?
I never tried to use my magnetic stirrer on any Hanna powder reagents,,, only use it on Salifert titration liquids.

Aside -- I always chuckled (and wondered) at Hanna directions:
- Phosphate ULR = shake GENTLY for 2 minutes
- Nitrate HR = shake VIGOROUSLY (or something like that) for 2 minutes
*'sup wit dat?

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the mag stirrer with out problems. What I do is wipe down the pill with RODI water and dry. Then drop the pill into the vile and run the whole test with the pill in the vile from start to finish.I pull the pill after the test is complete, then rinse and dry vile and pill.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the mag stirrer with out problems. What I do is wipe down the pill with RODI water and dry. Then drop the pill into the vile and run the whole test with the pill in the vile from start to finish.I pull the pill after the test is complete, then rinse and dry vile and pill.
Can you share your stirrer info please. I always thought a stirrer was a bit over the top for testing but I test 3 tanks and after just sitting here spending 12 minutes manually shaking vials I'm thinking I could use a stirrer.
Do you just do the normal 2 minutes using the stirrer instead shaking?

EDIT : just saw the OP already linked a stirrer, unless your using a different one

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share your stirrer info please. I always thought a stirrer was a bit over the top for testing but I test 3 tanks and after just sitting here spending 12 minutes manually shaking vials I'm thinking I could use a stirrer.
Do you just do the normal 2 minutes using the stirrer instead shaking?
www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-stir-magnetic-stirrer-for-test-kits-autoaqua.html
is the stirrer I use. I also picked ups few extra pills at my LFS. I still use the 2 min mixing and set the timer on my phone.
I start with the Nitrate test then as that is running I do the Phosphate then the ALK on occasion just to verify my trident reading. all is done before the 7 min timer has run out on the nitrate test . I do not use the stirrer on the ALK.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-stir-magnetic-stirrer-for-test-kits-autoaqua.html
is the stirrer I use. I also picked ups few extra pills at my LFS. I still use the 2 min mixing and set the timer on my phone.
I start with the Nitrate test then as that is running I do the Phosphate then the ALK on occasion just to verify my trident reading. all is done before the 7 min timer has run out on the nitrate test . I do not use the stirrer on the ALK.
Well shoot. I can find the stirrer everywhere but no one has extra pills available. Coral view has them on sale but the site says they have to be purchased from a retailer. Premium aquatics has the pills marked as discontinued. I'm really liking this stirrer idea but would like to have six pills so I don't have to clean them between test. I test 3 tanks at at time normally. I see them on Aliexpress but I'm not a fan.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate Hanna with magnetic stir question... Does anyone use an magnetic stir? Tried to, did the sample, then plopped the pill in by hand, removed it with a stainless rod, and it pegged the meter, did it using the shake method, read 0.04....thoughts?? Could it have been my hands handling the pill during the test?? Could the pill contribute to the phosphate reading?? Side question, I have a few boxes of new reagent for the tester, and one old box is expired, should I toss it, or is it still OK? (both tests in this example were new reagent.) not my exact stir, but similar www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-stir-magnetic-stirrer-for-test-kits-autoaqua.html
Stirring should not make a difference unless it created a large amount of micro bubbles. I am not sure about the role of the stainless rod. By the way you can leave the stir bar in the vial when it is placed in the Checker.

OP
OP
J

JS_racer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dumb as$ probably tested the clean rinse water and not the tank water to get those 2 readings so far apart....0.04 and max blinking 0.90, (I have 2 separate tanks, then a cup of clean water, and a small medicine liquid type cup for rinsing the pill... Brain must have been confused that day for some reason... Lol)
I'll ramp the stir down for phosphate,based on some posts here..
I do the same as Chris, nitrate, then phosphate, then alk, usually all in the time it takes for nitrates...

Last edited:

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Which mag stirrer do you use? What length stir bar do I need? I'm looking at the SR Aquaristik speed Tester. Not sure if the mag bar will fit. Thanks!

I use the Auto Aqua Smart Stirrer

Mine came with a stir bar but I think you’d need something about 1/4” or smaller

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back