Hanna or Milwaukee?

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally biting the bullet and ordering a digital (seawater) refractometer but can't decide which one to buy Hanna HI-98319 or the Milwaukee MA887. Read some older posts on here on same subject but want to hear what people think/are using now vs. then :) Thanks all!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinion is, that unless you have really delicate corals or critters in your tank, stability with salinity is way more important than an exact number. I have a refractometer and I never use it anymore. I check with a hydrometer that I calibrated with the refractometer. In over 6 or 7 years it's never changed. I calibrate the refractometer, measure my water's salinity, test again with the hydrometer and see the difference. My hydrometer has read 0.005 too low. So when it says 1.021 I add 0.005 and I'm at 1.026. It's been that way for years and never changes. I'm a happy camper.

OP
OP
Nhjmc

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool thank you for your sharing that. I rather not spend the $100 on a digital refractometer just want to be 100% certain my salinity is right and stable. I do have a hydrometer and a refractometer (ATC) I got off amazon. I don't use the hydrometer much it's just a cheap instant ocean hydrometer. I did purchase the calibration fluid and have been calibrating it every few times I use it which is pretty often because I'm having an issue tuning in/placing ATO sensor in correct place so I've been OCD about testing my salinity lately.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um.... Hanna does not make a refractometer (edit: they do sell one)

What you mention is a conductivity meter. Works entirely differently.

There are many good brands of conductivity meters and I prefer them to refractometers, at least good conductivity meters.

Last edited:

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/d...yFBBF6Bz3UvFMwTthSTAvte8UKBbqDdoaAlaXEALw_wcB

fwiw I recommend getting a conductivity meter as well. pinpoint marine is the one I use.

OK, there is one, my mistake.

But that's not apparently what the OP is asking about? He says

" but can't decide which one to buy Hanna HI-98319 or the Milwaukee MA887. "

The HI-98319 is a conductivity meter:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, I'm with Randy here, nothing beats a good ole seawater refractometer. In fact, I just ordered the Tropic Marin glass hydrometer to compliment my D&D refractometer. Btw, I just got back from my LFS where they have both of the digital refractometers you're asking about and the Hanna was the closest to my trusted refractometer. The Milwaukee was way off. Btw, I never trust just one device, but if I did, it would be my refracometer (and not a digital one).
Just my two pennies.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I'm with Randy here, nothing beats a good ole seawater refractometer. In fact, I just ordered the Tropic Marin glass hydrometer to compliment my D&D refractometer. Btw, I just got back from my LFS where they have both of the digital refractometers you're asking about and the Hanna was the closest to my trusted refractometer. The Milwaukee was way off. Btw, I never trust just one device, but if I did, it would be my refracometer (and not a digital one).
Just my two pennies.
Randy said he prefers a conductivity probe over a refractometer lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hanna

OP
OP
Nhjmc

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw those were highly rated but didn’t have much luck finding but also didn’t dig that deep.

OP
OP
Nhjmc

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info I’ll research what that means, and glad I asked . I am new to hobby and wasn’t aware of this. Been looking into purchasing a digital salinity tester/checker (quite a few articles on topic that I’ve read stated they are the best of the best to check salinity level).
E312A19C-09B7-401C-B73E-4E6B59D040D0.png

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info I’ll research what that means, and glad I asked . I am new to hobby and wasn’t aware of this. Been looking into purchasing a digital salinity tester/checker (quite a few articles on topic that I’ve read stated they are the best of the best to check salinity level).
No worries. its always good to ask!

There are three ways to measure: Hydrometers, Refractometers and Conductivity.
I've never personally used a hydrometer but they have the reputation of being inaccurate (not all think this is true)
Refractometers measure how much light "bends" through the water. Likely the most popular method in the hobby.
Conductivity measures, well, how conductive the saltwater is. Conductivity is the method researchers use.

For me, conductivity is just so easy. drop the probe in and take the reading. no having to "zero" meters (like the Milwaukee) no constant recalibration (like regular refractometers).
The hanna has mixed reviews which is why I personally got the pinpoint probe.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. its always good to ask!

There are three ways to measure: Hydrometers, Refractometers and Conductivity.
I've never personally used a hydrometer but they have the reputation of being inaccurate (not all think this is true)
Refractometers measure how much light "bends" through the water. Likely the most popular method in the hobby.
Conductivity measures, well, how conductive the saltwater is. Conductivity is the method researchers use.

For me, conductivity is just so easy. drop the probe in and take the reading. no having to "zero" meters (like the Milwaukee) no constant recalibration (like regular refractometers).
The hanna has mixed reviews which is why I personally got the pinpoint probe.

love my Hannabecause it’s quick and easy. It reds low to refractometers but is consistent. I keep water 33.5 using Hanna and apex and it’s 35 with refractometer. Don’t know what is correct but know I’m safe.
Its all a mystery lol

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the refractometer and go with a conductivity meter. Measuring how current travels through a sample feels a lot more fit for ourpurposes than measuring how light travels through a sample. I have the American Marine salinity monitor and it's great.

I'd also avoid the pen-style conductivity meters. The reviews seem to be mixed at best. Some have almost exclusively negative reviews (the IceCap salinity tester as an example).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back